Re: mutations

  • Tom Gibson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7 4:46 PM
      All species co-evolve. There are some well documented cases of
      individual plants and insect co-evolver that did so. Whenever you see a
      plant host that is only pollinated by a single type of insect that is an
      example and there are many, many of those. Several large ecosystems have
      been changed and managed by human intervention for thousands of years.
      The California oak forests were created by humans burning as were
      several grasslands dominated by acacia's.

      Tom
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "travelerinthyme" <traveler.in.thyme@...>
      wrote:

      > I say we humans have mutated ourselves. This next generation, whom I
      call "techno sapiens" have never seen a world not altered by humans.
      They spend their days in artificial environments, interacting with
      machines, and may never in their lifetime have touched bare feet to
      naked Mother Earth. Rather than hunting and gathering, they go shopping.

      > I realized decades ago that my place in the Cosmos was to keep the old
      ways alive, even though it has meant living on the margins of
      civilization. The internet has changed my world in ways beyond imagining
      ... to be able to "converse" with all of y'all is amazing, who would
      have dreamed this old country granny lady would be able, in a small way,
      to Control the Force?

      > ~Marcia Cash, Traveler in Thyme
      > Blanco County, Texas

    • travelerinthyme
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 9 5:54 AM
        Humans co-evolved with dogs, it's said they make us Human.

        I no longer keep any animals that need fences to stay home, but our cat came to us on her own, and my dogs won't let me out of their sight, and there are a couple of deer that come in from the forest when they see that big, blue bowl of cereal in my hands.

        A little golden-cheeked warbler male likes to sit on the fence and talk to me while I'm watering, he'll swoop through the stream from the hose while I'm holding it. They are an endangered species, so I feel truly honoured when he visits.

        It's very isolated out here, and I really depend on my critters for companionship. When we first built the high fence to keep OUT the deer, I felt trapped and nervous. My husband laughed and called it the "Vegetable Concetration Camp," and built many gates on all corners so I could escape in any direction <LOL>

        ~Traveler in Thyme, going knowhere fast
      • intjring
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22 6:31 AM
          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "travelerinthyme" <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:

          > Come over and join my Yahoo group, travelerinthyme, don't be scared by the doll pix <LOL> I'll surf over there right now and change the opening blurb.
          >
          > ~Traveler in Thyme

          Thanks, Marcia, but I can't find it. What is the URL?
        • travelerinthyme
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 23 6:48 AM
            I have a yahoo group, not as active as this one, which includes a lot of artists who don't garden, but we talk about all sorts of interesting things. If you would like to join us, you are very welcome!

            ~Marcia Cash, Traveler in Thyme