Yuerba Bueno

  • pinigardens
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2011
      Hi out there,

      A while back I had a friend bring back some cuttings from Cuba. She claimed that it was the highly prized Yuerba Bueno used to make the traditional Cuban Mojito. Gratefully I accepted this gift and after having placed it in quarantine for 6 months it has resprouted and grown incredibly big. A square stem around the thickness of a pencil, slightly serrated lanceolate/oblong large (4-5cm) mint like semi hairy leaves. Leaf axils are opposite each other and the colour of the leaves could be described as light green and almost transluscent in the light. The smell is almost identical to that of Lantana spp, very fruity and strong lingering. One brush up agaisnt this plant and the whole room is "skunked" : )

      Could anybody confirm if this is indeed the wonderful ingredient used in the Cuban Mojito. When I think of mojitos I'm thinking spearmint varieties, this cutting though in all probablity is also from the Lamiaceae family, I'm just not sure of it's nomenclature as I am well aware that in South America they name quite a few herbs 'yuerba bueno', the good herb.

      Sincerely and respectfully
      Warron van Riet
    • Matthew Sleigh
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2011
        is a photograph possible ?

        All the best,
        Matthew

        Matthew Sleigh
        P-2, North Poblacion
        Don Carlos, Bukidnon
        8712
        Philippines

        Matthew Sleigh
        B and T World Seeds
        Paguignan
        34210 Aigues-Vives
        France
        matthew@...
        http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/
        fax ++ 33 (0) 4 68 91 30 39

        On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:26 AM, pinigardens <pinigardens@...> wrote:
        > Hi out there,
        >
        > A while back I had a friend bring back some cuttings from Cuba. She claimed that it was the highly prized Yuerba Bueno used to make the traditional Cuban Mojito.  Gratefully I accepted this gift and after having placed it in quarantine for 6 months it has resprouted and grown incredibly big. A square stem around the thickness of a pencil, slightly serrated lanceolate/oblong large (4-5cm) mint like semi hairy leaves. Leaf axils are opposite each other and the colour of the leaves could be described as light green and  almost transluscent in the light. The smell is almost identical to that of Lantana spp, very fruity and strong lingering. One brush up agaisnt this plant and the whole room is "skunked" : )
        >
        > Could anybody confirm if this is indeed the wonderful ingredient used in the Cuban Mojito. When I think of mojitos I'm thinking spearmint varieties, this cutting though in all probablity is also from the Lamiaceae family, I'm just not sure of it's nomenclature as I am well aware that in South America they name quite a few herbs 'yuerba bueno', the good herb.
        >
        > Sincerely and respectfully
        > Warron van Riet

      • MikeH
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 8, 2011