ornithogalum umbellatum

  • klem2wen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2004
      Hi all!
      I have a question about edibility of this plant. In PFAF data it says
      that the bulb is edible, but some reports say it is poisonous.What do
      you say? Have you tried yet this plant? if you have tried it, tell me
      how it should be prepared? Thanks for all your answers,
      2wolk
    • KenFern
      Message 2 of 2 , May 21, 2004
        Hi

        The full database report on edibility says as follows

        Edibility
        Bulb - raw or cooked[2, 5, 46, 61, 183]. The bulbs can be dried and ground
        into a powder[207]. Whilst the bulbs are palatable and wholesome according
        to some reports[2, 4, 115], some caution is advised. See the notes above on
        toxicity.

        These notes read as follows:-

        Known Hazards (Toxicity)
        Skin contact with the bulb can cause dermatitis in sensitive people[65]. The
        bulb contains alkaloids and is poisonous[2, 62]. Another report says that
        the bulb is poisonous to grazing animals[183].

        There are many plants with contradictory reports on their uses - the idea of
        the database is to present all these reports together to allow further
        research. It is quite probable that this plant has been eaten in times of
        famine and is fairly safe in small quantities, but can cause problems in
        larger amounts.

        I have not tried this bulb as yet, and with so many other edible bulbs that
        have no contradictory reports on edibility to try, it will probably be some
        time before I ever get round to this one.

        I hope this helps

        Ken Fern