Re: apricot kernels and cyanide

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2011
      Hi there,

      As I understand it, the cyanide compounds contained in apricot seeds, apple seeds and others may be neutralized by heat.

      It is possible that they processed their fruit kernels with heat (as some Native American tribes did to make fruit preserves from the whole fruit rather than taking the pits out - a laborious and inefficient task, given the energy return for time invested).
      Coming from the now very diverse "compost" thread, in which Elaine said:
      "The rest of (the Hunzas') food is fruit and veggies, many of them raw, including apricots which are a staple, and apricot kernels, which they make into a kind of flour. Something which is frowned upon as being poisonous in industrialised societies, yet they are a very healthy people."

      Peace,

      Steve.

      --
      "All that is gold does not glitter,