Perrenial seed germination

  • fran k
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2011
      Hi. I propogate Perrenial plants and germinate seeds. Its great, Im getting to be quite succesful but its all mostly learnt by own initiative and feel. I havent worked with a grower or in a nursery to gain any picked up experience. Does anyone know if any nut tree seeds and any of the other Perrenial plant and tree seeds, benefit from soaking like annual veg seeds do in order to cause germination?
      I know not all will as my yew seeds, cherry plum seeds damsons and others have required 2 year stratifying through two winters and i have a wonderful hazel variety that have taken two years. But. If some Perrenials do, germinate just by soaking then this would be valuable to know which ones. Thanks:) frank.
    • Norris Thomlinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2011
        It seems a bit silly saying this, given the identity of this mailing list, but...

        I'd check the Plants for a Future database.  Lots of good detailed info there for germinating many species of seeds.  Some seeds (especially legumes) benefit from soaks, some from scarification, some from cold stratification, etc.

        http://pfaf.org

        Good luck,

        Norris Thomlinson
        Portland, OR
        http://farmerscrub.blogspot.com

        --
        "The absolute bottom line is: what methods of food production build topsoil while using only ambient sun and rain?  *Because nothing else is sustainable.*"

        Lierre Keith, The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability
      • fran k
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2011
          Hi Norris. Thanks I will do that, when on computer. :)frank