Re: Can I make money with these weeds?

  • Erez Gur
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 27, 2011
      Joy,

      You were wondering what you could do with the Milk Thistle and Elaine has some great suggestions.

      I doubt you could sell the Milk Thistle and other wild plants, but maybe you could try to establish a restaurant using wild ingredients, especially if you are not too far from a road, or better, close to a restaurant that would like to sell dishes you make.

      About the Milk Thistle, my mother told me that when she was a child she'd visited her grandmother in a refugee camp in Tzfat, the grandmother would cook the chopped stalks with fish, they would eat the leaves of Milk Thistle as salad (I tried it and it is rather nice) and that the base of the flower had "rice" that was very good to eat.

      You say you have mallow, I assume you mean Malva sylvestris (hubeiza). You can eat the leaves raw (though the wilt quickly) and make nice leaf patties (with or without meat).

      Erez