Update: CAP reform

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2004
      Following the update to the CAP reform post, of a week ago
      I've now received an reply back from my MP about the subject.

      It seems like they have not come to the final implementation
      of the reforms, so now would be a good time to
      express your concerns about the issue.

      FAX from Me to my MP ---------------------------------

      From: Richard Morris
      1 Lerryn View
      PL22 0QJ
      01208 872963

      To: Mr Colin Breed
      MP for South East Cornwall
      House Of Commons
      SW1A 0AA

      Monday 12 April 2004

      Dear Mr Colin Breed,

      I just found the information about the CAP single payment scheme which
      will reform the way grants to farms are distributed with a flat payment
      per farm, and get away from the subsidy farming.

      While on the whole I am am very much in support of this reform which
      will do a lot to improve the current farming situation.

      However there is one part which concerns be greatly namely that the
      grants will excluding permanent crops and forestry.

      The charity I am involved with, Plants For A Future (www.pfaf.org),
      advocates the use of perennial crops (i.e. permenant crops). We believe
      that using perennial crops have a great environmental benefit, as they
      require less intensive farming methods and provide a much greater range
      of wildlife habitats.

      Un-ammended this will make the task of diversification

      to perennial crops harder as they will be excluded from the grant scheme.

      Furthermore on radio 4's PM today there was a report on how Orchards
      (which will also be excluded) will be threaterned by this scheme. One
      orchard grower said that he was going to have to burn his orchard as it
      will become economically unsustainable.

      Is there anyway in which the scheme can be altered to help orchard
      growers and those trying to grow other perennial crops?

      Yours Sincererly

      Richard Morris

      ff8b21f42fade7a43ba7eecde6ad6f1a (Signed with an electronic signature in
      accordance with subsection 7(3) of the Electronic Communications Act 2000)

      Reply from My MP ---------------------

      19th April 2004

      Dear Mr Morris,

      Thanks for your letter of 12th April concerning the proposal by the
      Government for introducing the reforms on the Common Agricultural Policy.

      You have quite properly raised the issue of grants being excluded for
      permanent crops and forestry and I have also been contacted concerning
      the implications for orchards as you have also raised.

      During the Select Committee investigation, of which I was am member, re
      raised several issues of concern with the Minister and it was clear that
      these substantial reforms were going to have a number of unintended
      consequences and we did therefore press the Minister to ensure that
      these concerns would be considered over the coming months prior to any
      final implementation.

      In the circumstance therefore I have copied you letter to the Secretary
      of State and as soon as I have had any response I will contact you again.

      With kind regards

      Yours sincerely

      Colin Breed MP
      Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants