re: fennel seeds and estragole

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 7, 2011
      Mary Christine,

      I have no argument with what you said based on your experience, but I feel that perhaps you read more into Bekki's statement than she meant to convey.  She didn't actually say that she thought no herbs could cause harm, only that "the powers that be wish to frighten us regarding the safety of herbs."  I believe that the two points can be made independantly of each other.
      Perhaps the best thing is to ask Bekki to clarify what she meant by it.

      As far as the powerful actions of herbs is concerned I am fully on the same page as you; herbs work, and we must treat them with the respect deserved by any potent energy in nature.

      It should be clear to any thinking person that no governing body can rightfully regulate responsible individual use of nature's gifts. I believe that even standardisation can be a step in the wrong direction.  If someone processes an herb and doesn't extract the active constituents, it won't work; nobody will go to that person for medicine and they will be forced to reevaluate their knowledge base.  Good medicine is immediately apparent to the sufferer, because they find relief.  So remedial/therapeutic medicinal quality is self-correcting.

      The regulation I believe we are referring to later in the conversation thread is Codex Alimentarius, which, as I understand it is to be a sort of "white list" of allowed plants, materials and constituents; this will, by its nature, criminalize all unlisted items.  This cannot be allowed to carry on, since it is based on human ego and an artificial sense of the holistic balance of nature.

      I fully support any and all non-violent action against this (or any other) constrictive regulation of nature-based medicine.

      Peace,

      Steve.

      --
      "All that is gold does not glitter,
      Not all those who wander are lost;

    • Infowolf1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 7, 2011
        well, when someone says that about carcinogenic warnings on herbs, which
        same warnings are in lots of herb books, I can only assume she is not
        well read, and is jumping to conclusions herself.

        Bekki, you want to clarify? Were you of the opinion that herbs are harmless
        regardless of dosing or whatever?

        it does sound that way, I mean, why else ascribe any concerns about
        active principles to the powers that be that often do not want us that
        independent of their money grubbing doctors and pharmaceutical
        companies. But that doesn't mean they make this stuff up, only that
        they exploit it and exaggerate it.

        Mary Christine

        In a message dated 3/7/2011 6:39:31 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, permalove@... writes:

[...]

        From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
        A light from the shadows shall spring;
        Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
        The crownless again shall be king."
        ~  J.R.R. Tolkien

      • Sapho
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 7, 2011
          > On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 17:54 GMT Elaine Sommers wrote:
          >

          > >Can I just say, as someone studying herbalism and nutrition, that I agree with all of this. The subject is so huge it could go on and on.
          > >
          > >Just a note on keeping herbs available and legal - I can't see how they can reasonably prevent people growing their own medicines in the form of herbs. You'd have to ban so many plants it would be like a police state, heaven forbid! I did have to send away to the USA to get hold of some lobelia tincture which is quite annoying, but I'm sure I could grow my own if I really wanted to. (I live in the UK)
          > >
          > >Blessings,
          > >Elaine.

          The European Union already has legislations in place to limit what we can grow. They don´t ban anything really, they just set such high standards and high prices for certification, so that small seed-companies or those selling rare varieties cant afford the fees for the speciality seeds. The EU has these lists of varieties that are ok.

          "The EU seed catalogue system

          Each member state of the European Union is required to maintain a national catalogue (or "list" as it is called in some countries) of officially recognised varieties which may be freely marketed in its territory. The national catalogues are then collated together by the European Commission into what is known as the EU Common Catalogue. Varieties which are not listed in a national or the Common Catalogue are, technically speaking, not allowed to be marketed in the EU."

          Read more on Grain.org:
          http://www.grain.org/seedling/?id=343

          The Catalogs and Legislation:
          http://ec.europa.eu/food/plant/propagation/catalogues/catalogues_leg_en.htm

          So it can get difficult getting speciality seeds. We should start seedbanks and seed exchange mechanisms... Now!

          with regards,
          Sapha
        • Matthew Sleigh
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 7, 2011
            I always try to use herbs collected locally, or unprocessed herbs (there is an old herbalist's adage that the herbs you need will come to you, I am always looking at the plants wherever I am anyway)

            The history of processed herbal medicines is cluttered with adulterants - even the most basic commercially packaged cooking herbs and spices are often old, or collected at the wrong season, and sometimes misidentified. Cinnamon is often cassia, basils that must be used fresh are sold as cooking basil. I have purchased many different brands of chilli powder and can't remember ever buying any that was good.

            Even the most respected herb companies are at the mercy of their suppliers - often based thousands of miles away, it cannot be easy to check identity and freshness for every batch of powder that arrives at their factories, and good sample data is necessary for comparison.

            All the best,
            Matthew
          • Elaine Sommers
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 8, 2011
              "The European Union already has legislations in place to limit what we can grow. They don't ban anything really, they just set such high standards and high prices for certification, so that small seed-companies or those selling rare varieties cant afford the fees for the speciality seeds. The EU has these lists of varieties that are ok."

              Have you heard of The Real Seed Company? They 'sell' more unusual and older seed varieties. Because of the European legislation they charge 1p per order for a year's club membership, so that in fact they are selling seeds to a 'seed club'. They are completely organic and encourage own seed saving and indeed, give instructions on how to do so.

              http://www.realseeds.co.uk/terms.html

              They are not allowed to sell outside of the European Union but do offer alternative companies run along the same lines in other parts of the world.

              Blessings,
              Elaine.

              "We are shaped and fashioned by what we love"
                Goethe

              "Losing your mind can be a peak experience!"
                Jane Wagner

              "Our nature lies in movement; complete calm is death."
                Blaise Pascal

              ". . . the greatest peril of life lies in the fact that human food consists entirely of souls. All the creatures that we have to kill to eat, all those that we have to strike down and destroy to make clothes for ourselves, have souls, souls that do not perish with the body . . . All that exists lives."

              from 'Shaman, the wounded healer' by J. Halifax, 1982

            • Bekki Shining Bearheart LMT
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 10, 2011
                Steve, I thank you for clarifying this-- I really have no wish to get
                into a debate. But I feel compelled to respond. You are correct, I am
                not saying all herbs are completely safe, or that there might not be
                people who might have reactions even to herbs that are generally very safe.

                I know people who are deathly allergic to sunflower seeds or soybeans,
                which for years have been promoted as a health food. There are lots of
                things out there that can kill us! if improperly used (like chain saws,
                cars, and on and on...) It's about being responsible for ourselves.

                What I find frustrating and frightening is that herbs-- which when used
                properly have been healing humans for thousands of years--have been
                demonized by pharmaceutical companies, who stand to make a lot of money
                from prescription drugs, which, as you have said, can have many and
                dangerous side effects. Again, it' about being responsible for
                ourselves. Educating ourselves. Educating each other.

                A lot of regulating is done in the name of protecting us against
                ourselves, as if we can't make informed choices. Perhaps if we were
                allowed to do that, the human race would evolve into an intelligent
                species again.

                Bekki

                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 10, 2011
                  Mary Christine: My comment was specifically in response to these comments:

                  Estragole is a lager component of tarragon (especially) and basil

                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 10, 2011
                    I grow many of the herbs I use (70 medicinal and counting), and depend
                    on a respected wholesaler to get the few that I can't grow but think are
                    necessary. Luckily there are good sources out there for seed-- people
                    who pride themselve on going to the source.

                    Matthew Sleigh wrote:

                    > I always try to use herbs collected locally, or unprocessed herbs
                    > (there is an old herbalist's adage that the herbs you need will come
                    > to you, I am always looking at the plants wherever I am anyway)
                    >

                    > The history of processed herbal medicines is cluttered with
                    > adulterants - even the most basic commercially packaged cooking herbs
                    > and spices are often old, or collected at the wrong season, and
                    > sometimes misidentified. Cinnamon is often cassia, basils that must be
                    > used fresh are sold as cooking basil. I have purchased many different
                    > brands of chilli powder and can't remember ever buying any that was good.
                    >
                    > Even the most respected herb companies are at the mercy of their
                    > suppliers - often based thousands of miles away, it cannot be easy to
                    > check identity and freshness for every batch of powder that arrives at
                    > their factories, and good sample data is necessary for comparison.
                    >
                    > All the best,
                    > Matthew

                  • Griselda Mussett
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 11, 2011
                      I like this discussion. The international legal-capitalist framework dictates that investors and corporates can only make profits on patented (ie synthetic) substances. (Isolated or multivitamins are an example of this - worth millions and millions of dollars worldwide). Natural compounds not only offer the corporates no money but represent a real threat to their profits. So food and herbs are regarded by the pharmaceutical sector as 'bad' and as we know have been subject to extensive and global lobbying damage- the list of their targets is colossal and makes absolutely no sense from an ordinary person's point of view.
                      The traditional understanding of food as the source of our health is under vicious attack - food is now seen as a means of making profit, or more recently as a matter of security! Well, yes, but how far will this go? For hundreds or thousands of years it was a matter of growing your food and medicine in your garden or local farm, then in the 20th c the criminal law came into it (when the EU banned traditional varieties of food plants) and maybe now it's edging towards barbed wire and searchlights. Agh, I'm sorry I went there.
                      At some point people need to question how all this has come about and fight for our 'common' or 'garden' herbs, fruits, vegetables, berries, etc. One practical way to start to get back to sanity would be to demand that supermarkets display the date on which any given product was picked. Also asking them to explain exactly what they mean by the word 'organic' on their labelling.
                      The wisdom, knowledge and expertise in groups like this will need to be spread - ie unpicking this confusing area re: natural/safe for instance.
                      It's a huge task to educate people but this group offers hope.
                      Thanks
                      Griselda

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On 11 Mar 2011, at 01:40, Bekki Shining Bearheart LMT <bekki@...> wrote:

                      Steve, I thank you for clarifying this-- I really have no wish to get
                      into a debate. But I feel compelled to respond. You are correct, I am
                      not saying all herbs are completely safe, or that there might not be
                      people who might have reactions even to herbs that are generally very safe.

                      I know people who are deathly allergic to sunflower seeds or soybeans,
                      which for years have been promoted as a health lots of

                      Steve wrote:
[...]

                      <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                        pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      Sent from my iPhone

                    • Infowolf1@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 11, 2011
                        yes, so many people, usually thinking they are conservatives and following Biblical
                        principles of government and economics (due to lectures by people who don't read
                        The Bible that well and who learned from ditto or worse, liars), scream about BIG
                        GOVERNMENT!

                        But The Bible contains very pointed condemnations in the Prophets, some in the
                        Torah and in the NT against the oppressive rich. And St. Paul in Romans says
                        that the purpose of government is to punish evil and reward good.

                        that is on the face of it, interventionist.

                        After all, government is making the inconvenient laws. But this is because government
                        is being run by big business, etc.

                        And anything that interferes with this, any laws that would roll back and cap prices
                        on medical goods and services or interfere with frankenfoods or other stuff, is
                        denounced as COMMUNISM! or at least SOCIALISM! and sometimes, FASCISM!

                        But the problem is the corporations and the price gouging as normative, money
                        grubbing "caring professions" and so forth.

                        Mary Christine Erikson

                        In a message dated 3/11/2011 1:44:19 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, griselda1@... writes:

[...]

                        I know people who are deathly allergic to sunflower seeds or soybeans, < /span>

                        Steve wrote:
[...]

                        &nbs p; http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        Sent from my iPhone

                      • fran k
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 11, 2011
                          Stop selling it then, like its all a commodity.(aimed at us)

                          Get the nurture ethos. The mothering ethos. The feminine ethos. Thats the doing. We can be mothers and motherers. For motherer read nurturer. Nurturers is it. Positive creativity enhancing all and letting things be, themselves, giving them what they need, allowing them to be in ecologies that nurture there needs, letting them go, letting them fly.

                          Read Genevieve Vaughans work at www.gift-economy.com

                          Shes written A brilliant book on it. Free on line, called For-giving. And also see free on line Charles Eisensteins brilliant book
                          Called Ascent of humanity.
                          Mind opening, surprising, staggering.

                          For a Moneyless society, a gift society is it. A doing for the sake of the doing -society, not a doing for the sake of what you can get out of it -society.

                          And Permaculture. Permanent culture.best practise.with its 3 ethos.

                          Our chains are our bills.

                          Free land, free resource, equals no bills.

                          That and us sharing our those resources.

                          Then Locking it so none can come in and change it.

                          Living out of the monoculture battery chicken pecking cities.

                          Into human scale large but less than 150 human scale family size villages. (See the William Dunbar number, our group size, as to how many people its physically possible to have real human relationships with, how many people its physically possible to give a birthday card too, and its relation to alienation)

                          Scare cities and alien nation! We live in! Loving the harm that befalls others! Because its not happening to us. We actually do this!

                          United diversity is it. All fed.

                          (How to get from here to there? Well youve got to pay for your life anyway, so why not pay it to be a different life. And how do we unite?)

                          Its great that free works on line, and we need to do it in real life too. But things stop us. Find out what they are. Release those and we will.

                          :) frank

                        • Infowolf1@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 11, 2011
                            I agree, there is proliferation mindlessly of stuff that is good or
                            harmless for some but dangerous for others.

                            And the pharma companies are demonizing herbs to gain money
                            and monopoly power, if not as an individual company more like
                            as a class of companies.

                            But as for informed decisions and protecting us against ourselves,
                            most people don't have the time or inclination to get informed
                            enough to make good decisions, and yes, we DO need protecting
                            from ourselves.

                            But not from money grubbing people committed by economic
                            interest and habit of thought and acceptance as gospel the
                            standard science and testing routines.

                            You can never underestimate the stupidity, ignorance, and
                            bad taste of the American public.

                            But the solution for this would be free required reading (govt.
                            production would be the easiest) of information on herbs
                            and dosing and uses and contraindications compiled from
                            scientific and old time information sources.

                            Knowledge you may take for granted among your family
                            and friends, and common sense, may be exotic to the
                            vast majority.

                            If you grew up in a context that preserves great great
                            grandma's cures down the family generations, well and
                            good.

                            but most did not.

                            Peace in Christ, and sorry if I offended anyone,

                            Mary Christine

                            In a message dated 3/11/2011 12:05:37 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, bekki@... writes:
                            I know people who are deathly allergic to sunflower seeds or soybeans,
                            which for years have been promoted as a health food. There are lots of
                            things out there that can kill us! if improperly used (like chain saws,
                            cars, and on and on...) It's about being responsible for ourselves.

                            What I find frustrating and frightening is that herbs-- which when used
                            properly have been healing humans for thousands of years--have been
                            demonized by pharmaceutical companies, who stand to make a lot of money
                            from prescription drugs, which, as you have said, can have many and
                            dangerous side effects. Again, it' about being responsible for
                            ourselves. Educating ourselves. Educating each other.

                            A lot of regulating is done in the name of protecting us against
                            ourselves, as if we can't make informed choices.
                          • Gail Lloyd
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 11, 2011
                              Mary Christine, I like your comments.  One good source for self medicating is Materia Medica... good sites are http://www.elixirs.com/medica.htm & http://www.swsbm.com/ManualsMM/MatMed5.pdf
                              Remember that moderation and information are the keys to self-medicating.
                              I think it pays to try to keep yourself in the best of health in the first place, like Hippocrates said "let food be thy medicine"... not only is it very wise, but it's also very safe (if you eat the right foods).   It's hard to do in this day and age when you go to the grocery store & it's filled w/refined foods; produce grown with pesticides and synthetic fertilizers; and meat, dairy & eggs from animals & fish that are raised on antibiotics & fed an unnatural diet, etc.  The best thing to do (in my opinion) is educate yourself on organic growing of your own fruit & veggies, and grow as much as you're able (including herbs) in the amount of space that you have (it would even be beneficial to pick it right off the tree/vine & eat without washing).  If you have enough space to have your own chickens and goat(s), that would be best, but otherwise buy free-range meat, dairy, and eggs.  We don't need meat very often, but we do need it or dairy occasionally for the nutrients they contain; and free-range eggs on a regular basis; also wild-caught, low-mercury fish more often, fermented foods, green foods (chloropyll), sea veggies (kelp, etc), wild foods/weeds (more omega-3s, etc), and more raw food in our diets.  Try to live more like our ancestors did 100 years ago and you'll be much healthier.
                              Remember variation, moderation in all things, and a balanced diet (good protein, good carbs, and good fats with each meal).
                              Gail

                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 11, 2011
                                Yes!, Griselda, I totally agree. It is unfortunate that corporate power
                                is growing. Here in the states that translates into all kinds of big
                                changes being implemented that we, the people have lobbied hard against.
                                We should not have to work so hard to defend the basic right to grow the
                                crops that we eat and that provide our medicine. Now even the internet,
                                which is an information highway for all of us, is being threatened. My
                                approach is to turn on as many of my neighbors as I can to growing their
                                own mewdicinals and food. Luckily there is a lot of interest in my
                                community, which is a hotbed of sustainability in southeast Ohio.

                                Also I realized from reading this that before I posted, some words got
                                deleted from my post... should have read

                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 11, 2011
                                  no offense taken! we are all obviously here because we love the plant
                                  world and have found plants to be helpful and healing co-habitants on
                                  the planet...

                                    From: frank_bowman@...
                                    Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:52:13 +0000

                                    Read Genevieve Vaughans work at www.gift-economy.com