Re: [pfaf] CAP single payment scheme

  • Phil Slade
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2004
      To my mind this all seems to be a big step in the right
      direction. The only down side from a Perennial perspective
      is:
      (http://www.defra.gov.uk/farm/capreform/implementation/impl02.htm)
      A flat rate payment will apply in England, with each eligible hectare
      (excluding permanent crops and forestry) in each region attracting the
      same rate of subsidy.

      Hence growing permanent perennials crops will
      be excluded ;-(.

      Yes, but not necessarily forever, it is an adaptable/reformable regime, if
      very slow moving.
      If permanent perennials crops are a valid option they will eventually be
      included (we hope ).
      regards Phil.
    • Richard Morris
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2004
        I wrote:
        > (http://www.defra.gov.uk/farm/capreform/implementation/impl02.htm)
        > A flat rate payment will apply in England, with each eligible hectare
        > (excluding permanent crops and forestry) in each region attracting the
        > same rate of subsidy.

        So I now find that this is breaking news, (odd I only
        stumbled across this today while looking at defra grants).

        There was an 10 min piece on this Radio 4 today.
        This mainly focussed on on the threat it may pose to
        orchards with one farmer saying how he was going to have
        to burn his orchard as it will become economically
        unsustainable. Probably a bit of an over reaction
        as there is a four year transition period.

        Is there a need for a bit of campaigning on this issue.
        I'm going to fax my MP (FaxYourMP.com).

        Phil Slade wrote:
        > Yes, but not necessarily forever, it is an adaptable/reformable regime, if
        > very slow moving.
        > If permanent perennials crops are a valid option they will eventually be
        > included (we hope ).
        > regards Phil.

        Heres hoping.

        Rich