drought solutions/cures Re: [pfaf] Re: rainwater, or lack of.....

  • travelerinthyme
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 26, 2011
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Peter knop <peterknop@...> wrote:

      > Why not use the grey water (not only washing machine, but sinks, shower, etc.)

      Yes, we let the washing machine drain out on the backyard, but that greywater messes with the pH of the veggie garden so it just waters the grass and a couple of huge oak trees.

      Kitchen sink and shower go into the septic system, which is otherwise too dry to compost the toilet. But that, too, waters a large expanse of lovely grass, which will soon be home to a couple of goats.

      We had a humanure toilet for years, but it was too much trouble for two little old folks with creaky backs, and my hyper-sensitive nose can smell the humanure for YEARS after it is supposedly composted. Besides it was technically illegal, and our subdivision has filled up so we are no longer "in the country" but have close neighbors.

      The real problem is no rain for almost 6 months. We have plenty of cistern space (15,000 gallon capacity), but they are only 1/3 full this season, so I can't even start tomato and pepper plants, much less plan on keeping them alive in 100 degree summers.

      I will focus my gardening energy on improving the acres of forest, pruning frost-killed perennials, and digging out stickers and thistles that are super abundant in this dry year. Building soil for next year. Building a nice deck on the back of the barn to enjoy the wild garden that needs no maintenance. Training my new chiweenie pup. Working in my art studio and trying to sell my art. Lots to do besides grow tomatoes!

      ~Traveler in Thyme, Blanco County, Texas, zone8-9