rainwater, or lack of.....

  • travelerinthyme
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 23, 2011
      We have 15,000 gallon capacity rainwater collection system, but this spring there isn't enough water in the cisterns to even think about starting a garden. I am very depressed about drought.

      Pray for rain in Central Texas?

      ~Traveler in Thyme, Blanco County
      zone 8-9
    • travelerinthyme
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 23, 2011
        Paraquay is about as far south of the equator as Texas is north. What kind of soil do you have there?

        All our rains here in the Texas hill country come in flash floods, with long dry spells between.

        We had half our yearly rainfall in two days, last September, and aside from a couple more inches in October, it's been very, very dry here.

        One good flash flood to fill up our cisterns, and I'd start a garden.

        Of course, plants are not stupid, they know the difference between rain and irrigation, so even if I water them, they don't produce as well in dry years. Of course, if it rains, I don't need to irrigate, Catch-22.

        I estimate it takes 5 gallons of water per each tomato. Probably 10 gallons for a head of lettuce, if you include washing it before eating.

        The only plants to survive the drought/freeze this winter were the carrots, cilantro, and parsley, which are all related. The perennial herb shrubberies (marjoram, thyme, lavender, rosemary) look pitiful, but at least they are alive.

        ~Traveler in Thyme, Blanco County, Texas
        zone 8-9
      • Javier Cosp
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 23, 2011

          In Paraguay we have diferent types of soil. In some places with very red color.
          Very cheap, between 50 and 2000 US dollars each hectárea (1 ha = 2.47 acres)
          according its fertility and proximity to the markets.

          Usually we have few rains in winter and more in summer. But this year we are having
          too much rain and it is hurting the agribussines crops (like soya) and the "campesino"
          crops (cotton and sesame) as well.

          I grow macadamias, lemons and some native fruit trees.

          Javier

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 24, 2011
            Texas has at least 8 different climate zones, from semi-tropical Gulf coast to high desert mountains. Here in the Hill Country, we have thin soil over limestone, with scrubby juniper and live oak, not good gardening nor grazing either one. I am lucky to have a hectare with mostly deep black clay and tall post oaks, but we collect rainwater and this year is very dry, so our cisterns are half empty and I'm afraid to start a big veggie garden for lack of water. Very frustrating.

            Also, this is probably the most overpriced land on the planet, outside of New York. $8,000-10,000/acre for rocky scrub land, just because commuters from Austin and San Antonio want to "live in the country". Not many of them want to WORK in the country, though, they just use the land for recreation and privacy screen, and don't even know what they really have.

            I'm a country girl from birth, though I did go to private prep school in Dallas for 12 years, all I want is to be a hippie farm wife!

            ~Traveler in Thyme, zone 8-9
          • sapha
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 24, 2011
              Have you thought about mulch/cover cropping?
              If you cover with for example grass, the crops get a load of nutrition from the grass, and at the same time the soil is protected from drought.
              Of course you have to find something that is handy mulching with, some people mulch with seaweed, wich also ads minerals to the soil, but if you live in arid place it can be difficult finding mulching materials.
              The links below gives some ideas.

              http://soilcrop.colostate.edu/hansen/WGP/3%20x%205%20presentations/Brummer%20Living%20Mulch%20Biofuel%20Workshop.pdf

              https://www.stopwaste.org/docs/mulchguide-2006.pdf

              Sapha

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "travelerinthyme" <traveler.in.thyme@...> wrote:

              > We have 15,000 gallon capacity rainwater collection system, but this spring there isn't enough water in the cisterns to even think about starting a garden. I am very depressed about drought.
              >
              > Pray for rain in Central Texas?
              >
              > ~Traveler in Thyme, Blanco County
              > zone 8-9

            • travelerinthyme
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 25, 2011
                We have great, spongey soil covered with deep mulch, but when the temps get in the high 90's with no rain, we must water at least once or twice a month just to keep things alive.

                The trouble is, we got a washing machine! Not that I'm complaining about not driving 30 miles round trip and spending $30 at the laudromat, and we do have a low water use front loading washer, but with absolutely no precipitation in almost 6 months, there just isn't enough rainwater in the cisterns to do everything, and we don't have a well.

                Oh, well.

                The rains passed us by yesterday, too. Scary! With the extra-hard freezes this winter, combined with drought, Central Texas is in real trouble for the coming summer.

                Maybe if I quit taking baths and washing my clothes and dishes, I could have a tomato? <LOL>

                ~Traveler in Thyme, zone 8-9
              • Peter knop

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 26, 2011
                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Peter knop <peterknop@...> wrote:

                    > Why not use the grey water (not only washing machine, but sinks, shower, etc.)

                    Yes, we let the washing machine drain out on the backyard, but that greywater messes with the pH of the veggie garden so it just waters the grass and a couple of huge oak trees.

                    Kitchen sink and shower go into the septic system, which is otherwise too dry to compost the toilet. But that, too, waters a large expanse of lovely grass, which will soon be home to a couple of goats.

                    We had a humanure toilet for years, but it was too much trouble for two little old folks with creaky backs, and my hyper-sensitive nose can smell the humanure for YEARS after it is supposedly composted. Besides it was technically illegal, and our subdivision has filled up so we are no longer "in the country" but have close neighbors.

                    The real problem is no rain for almost 6 months. We have plenty of cistern space (15,000 gallon capacity), but they are only 1/3 full this season, so I can't even start tomato and pepper plants, much less plan on keeping them alive in 100 degree summers.

                    I will focus my gardening energy on improving the acres of forest, pruning frost-killed perennials, and digging out stickers and thistles that are super abundant in this dry year. Building soil for next year. Building a nice deck on the back of the barn to enjoy the wild garden that needs no maintenance. Training my new chiweenie pup. Working in my art studio and trying to sell my art. Lots to do besides grow tomatoes!

                    ~Traveler in Thyme, Blanco County, Texas, zone8-9
                  • trixi doe
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 7, 2016
                      Hello:
                      It has been QUITE a while since last I looked at what was going on in with everyone, sharing all about farming; growing crops; In my entire life, I have never experienced- a volume of, craziness, to which I had no choice, but- to endure, until I could make another step.
                      NOW, looking at the past conversations, as I had kept much of them, because, I felt that one day, somehow, the shared information, would be - very important/ useful .
                      In the USA, many states have continued suffering, in their crops, because, of flooding.
                      What is not spoken of is, that this situation for us, in SC, is not going away, it is here to stay, unless, we, have a drought move in for a while.
                      Last years flood, broke many dams; destroyed roads/bridges/ took out homes/ and took out- farms, BIG, and small .
                      Many, cannot  get to their farm houses, as the flood, sits on top of the water table, and that, is increased, by the rains, that keep coming. No matter how small the rain, it rests on top of the existing waters.
                      Many of us know, so many of our farms, are doomed;- it made me cry, they are- as, huge ponds and lakes. Large farms, are really a site, seeing them like this.
                      SO, what are alternatives?
                      The water table is less than a foot, in some places,- 6 inches from the top of the ground.
                      Farmers who can see the ground, can not get into their fields- it is as a BOG.
                      I am trying to help figure this out. Do we try and dig HUGE canals?
                      If we do not figure something out, we are also going to suffer a huge mosquito population, wide spread, and last years, was- bad. The mosquitos were HUGE, and when they bite, they leave a hole in you. They, also, swarm in hundreds.
                      Livestock and horses, suffered, many with eye infections, from the gnat swarms, as well.
                      Me and my George have just bought a home, and we have just realized, a water run off, is creeping up on us, from was back in our back yard- we have 5 acres, and we intend to farm, 2, and have a green house, to experiment on year round vegetable and assorted food crops. This is our first location, and what we learn, here, we can help others to find answers for the homesteads, that they might, also, become- homestead food crop farmers, able to go far out into rural areas, and live, successfully. George is also a awesome entrepreneur; we are going to generate our own form of alternative energy; and, we reuse materials, always find a use for what other throw away.
                      Anyway, I hope this group is still going on, and that many of you, will respond with ideas, for answers and simply, your thoughts. I hope everyone is doing ok, and I would love to hear from all of you, from everywhere. All across the world, sharing our ideas of farming, and the things that we face, in doing this, is, important. It is also so very interesting... I have really missed the conversations of everyone, conversing. mollyaway@...

                      Linda
                    • kali dasan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 7, 2016
                        Hi please
                        Thanks your mail. Am grower and supplier of exotic vegetables and

                        herbs in southern india please. Am looking seeds please.
                        Best regards
                        kalidasan
                        email:reverside9@...

                        On 2/7/16, trixi doe mollyaway@... [pfaf] <pfaf@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                        > Hello:It has been QUITE a while since last I looked at what was going on in
                        > with everyone, sharing all about farming; growing crops; In my entire life,
                        > I have never experienced- a volume of, craziness, to which I had no choice,
                        > but- to endure, until I could make another step.NOW, looking at the past
                        > conversations, as I had kept much of them, because, I felt that one day,
                        > somehow, the shared information, would be - very important/ useful .In the
                        > USA, many states have continued suffering, in their crops, because, of
                        > flooding.What is not spoken of is, that this situation for us, in SC, is not

                        > going away, it is here to stay, unless, we, have a drought move in for a

                        > while.Last years flood, broke many dams; destroyed roads/bridges/ took out
                        > homes/ and took out- farms, BIG, and small .Many, cannot  get to their farm
                        > houses, as the flood, sits on top of the water table, and that, is
                        > increased, by the rains, that keep coming. No matter how small the rain,
                        > it rests on top of the existing waters.Many of us know, so many of our
                        > farms, are doomed;- it made me cry, they are- as, huge ponds and lakes.
                        > Large farms, are really a site, seeing them like this.SO, what are
                        > alternatives?The water table is less than a foot, in some places,- 6 inches
                        > from the top of the ground.Farmers who can see the ground, can not get into
                        > their fields- it is as a BOG.I am trying to help figure this out. Do we try
                        > and dig HUGE canals?If we do not figure something out, we are also going to
                        > suffer a huge mosquito population, wide spread, and last years, was- bad.
                        > The mosquitos were HUGE, and when they bite, they leave a hole in you. They,
                        > also, swarm in hundreds. Livestock and horses, suffered, many with eye
                        > infections, from the gnat swarms, as well.Me and my George have just bought
                        > a home, and we have just realized, a water run off, is creeping up on us,
                        > from was back in our back yard- we have 5 acres, and we intend to farm, 2,
                        > and have a green house, to experiment on year round vegetable and assorted
                        > food crops. This is our first location, and what we learn, here, we can help
                        > others to find answers for the homesteads, that they might, also, become-
                        > homestead food crop farmers, able to go far out into rural areas, and
                        > live, successfully. George is also a awesome entrepreneur; we are going to
                        > generate our own form of alternative energy; and, we reuse materials, always
                        > find a use for what other throw away.Anyway, I hope this group is still

                        > going on, and that many of you, will respond with ideas, for answers and

                        > simply, your thoughts. I hope everyone is doing ok, and I would love to hear
                        > from all of you, from everywhere. All across the world, sharing our ideas of
                        > farming, and the things that we face, in doing this, is, important. It is
                        > also so very interesting... I have really missed the conversations of
                        > everyone, conversing. mollyaway@...
                        > Linda
                      • infowolf1
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 7, 2016
                          try digging trenches for the water to pile into lessen the load on the rest of
                          the ground and around the house, if there is the slightest tilt not dead flat
                          use this to help redirect drainage. Won't do much but something is better
                          than nothing.

                          Try to find mosquito eating critters to bring into the farm and neighborhood.
                          Check water pools for anything that wiggles away from the surface when you
                          tap the water surface, and try scooping them out and crushing them or
                          feeding them to a tank of mosquito fish. These are mosquito larvae.

                          Christine

                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 8, 2016
                            OK.
                             I will see what I can find out for you.

> [...]

                            > food crops. This is our first location, and what we learn, here, we can help
                            > others to find answers for the homesteads, that they might, also, become-
                            > homestead food crop farmers, able to go far out into rural areas, and
                            > live, successfully. George is also a awesome entrepreneur; we are going to
                            > generate our own form of alternative energy; and, we reuse materials, always
                            > find a use for what other throw away.Anyway, I hope this group is still

                            > going on, and that many of you, will respond with ideas, for answers and

                            > simply, your thoughts. I hope everyone is doing ok, and I would love to hear
                            > from all of you, from everywhere. All across the world, sharing our ideas of
                            > farming, and the things that we face, in doing this, is, important. It is
                            > also so very interesting... I have really missed the conversations of

                          • trixi doe
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 8, 2016
                              Hello Christine:
                              I appreciate your quick reply.
                              My George came in home yesterday, as he had been up working on restoring the inside of the house, and he said, the water was flooding the yard, to the point of him all but
                              getting bogged down in the front yard...
                              SO- I have to figure out, how to get around the entire yard area, to get this under control, even if it is, flooding. I can not wait for the rain water to go away.
                              It might not.
                              WHAT A MESS!
                              I am going to take your advice, and DIG, MANY, trenches, to make the water run off to the pipe that the county public works had recently put in, AND, I am also going to ask for their help, digging trenches, before the water starts to come into the house!
                              This is bad for us, as we have just bought this home, and were not told of any such problems, existing.
                              Someone had to have known, as it did not just happen.
                              It almost looks like in the back of the property, that someone put up a people made -BEVER DAM.. made of dirt. DEER AND DUCK HUNTERS, who used to live there , probably set it all, up!
                              We intend to farm the property, and I am not giving up. I just have to figure out a way to get through the flooded ground, and it will take many people digging, but I feel that the county has a responsibility in clearing the way, to keep the road from also-washing out.
                              The run off water is flowing ,also, into our yard, and is coming from a neighbor' s property.
                              His ground, has no water issues!
                              I appreciate your ideas on getting mosquitos under control.
                              We had thoughts of clearing out many of the pine trees, so a big trench should also help with getting rid of what the pine trees were taking in, of water .
                              I am VERY determined, to farm as much of the property, as possible, and- WE have our horse; I must find a way I to keep her from bogging down, a way to support her weight upon the ground. If in any way, she can be used to help out, she will help, if we ask her to, - do. She is a good girl.
                              Whatever we can get down on our property, what works for us, can work, as well, for other farmers, and people.
                              I am determined !

                              Linda

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 8, 2016
                                  I just thought of this try building berms with sandbags and the mud you dig up to
                                  make trenches rock bits and whatever to block off some water maybe dig a big
                                  hole here and there for the water to collect in, be careful this could get dangerous.

                                  Christine

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 8, 2016
                                    tear down and relocate to block flow of incoming water, redirect not just block.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 9, 2016
                                      Hi Linda,

                                      I'm sorry to hear you are having so many problems.
                                      Firstly, I would like to ask how many pine and other trees you have at the property. These are very important for water retaining and should not be cut down quickly, if at all, without considering how much more water would be around without them being there.

                                      Are you intending to forest garden as opposed to monoculture crops? If so I am sure that this would be a great help and there are many people who could help with this. Geoff Lawton's website is brilliant and you many even be able to contact him first hand.

                                      There are also some great facebook sites on forest gardening, many having professionals who are expert in this kind of thing and who should be able to offer advice. Edible Forest Gardens is one such group and well worth joining.

                                      This is something that is happening more and more often in the UK also and this winter many parts of the country have been flooded out. A radical change in thought is required if we are to get to grips with this problem. Tree planting is part of the solutions. Orchards, edible hedgerows, harvesting for other uses (willow for example), where the whole plant / tree is not taken.

                                      Let us know how you get on Linda.

                                      Elaine.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 9, 2016
                                        Paraffin was the traditional method in Africa, usually sprayed before dawn, when it was cooler.

                                        Cheers

                                        Peter

                                        --
                                        Peter Ellis

                                        Porec Sales Office
                                        Croatia Property Services

                                        Selling in the new Tuscany!

                                        Tel  +385 (0) 91 400 3784

                                        peter.ellis@...
                                        info@...

                                        http://www.croatiapropertyservices.com
                                        http://croatiaproperty.proboards.com

                                      • trixi doe
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 10, 2016
                                          Hello: Thank you for your information. Yesterday, a gentleman came out from a department, within DEHEC, which is supposed to check on situations of which can promote- health problems. Mine, is mosquitos, as well as the pooled up water-situation.
                                          He did not offer, any, solutions. IF, I went ahead, to correct the situations, I know that the water , when released, is going- somewhere else, and washing out the other, end, of our dirt road, would not be a good thing. I am losing time, being able to put my own crop farm, together, because, I have to eliminate the present, rain water, back-up, and take it back, to the natural flow of it. I told another authority, today, if I do not have one of the agencies to come on location, and figure out a plan with me, I will figure out one, myself.
                                          So, I got passed through- to another department, who is going to register my property, as a small farm, and that might able me to get restoration grants. Everyone should have a right to farm, and agencies should not discriminate against small farms, as I know people who have 2 acres, and it is capable to produce, a nice abundance, and we have- 5.
                                          I am VERY concerned of mosquitos, last year they MULTI-PRODUCED, within -shaded forest areas, with NO water present. HUGE SIZE mosquitos!
                                          Maybe importing- bats..
                                          All of the information that I am being emailed from all of you, I deeply appreciate!
                                          As I need sunshine, I am considering, taking out all of the pine trees-  they do me no good, and the pine sap, is bad for the ground, and growing food crops.
                                          If I do this, I can have clear access to the upkeep of the entire acreage, and create a very nice mini farm. I intend that I will put in drain systems, to make the rainwater flow, off from the property. I know that the flooded part of the property, has a solid ground to it; I overcame the intimidation of walking through some of the water areas, yesterday.
                                          I am going to cut trees down, to be able to get a backhoe in, and etch out a flow line.
                                          I studied irrigation systems, because I wanted to install fountains in my yard, so, that should be no different, one-  way or the other, I am fixing- ALL of my problems!
                                          I have the same issues in the front of my property, run off rain water, from other people's property, washing the road out in my driveway, and, causing me flooding, incoming.
                                          Rainwater has NO WHERE to go, for right now.
                                          It is a good time of year to deal with ALL of this, no mosquitos, yet, and no heat !
                                          UGH I hope that I do not encounter any angry alligators .
                                          If so, it will be me/ a shovel/ and them ...maybe I should carry a few packs of firecrackers.

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 20, 2016
                                            When we bought the farm there were thick clouds of mosquitoes especially under the trees.  We planted citronella, lemon grass, mint, basil, chives, bunching onions, marigolds, etc around the house and here and there on the farm.

                                            We made fish ponds for tree and ground frogs, toads and dragonfly to breed in and they gobble up flying bugs.  The mosquitoes are attracted to the ponds to breed but we put in small tropical fish “Amazon Sword Tails” that like to eat mosquito lava so the ponds work as mosquito traps.

                                            We now have a house with no screens on any doors or windows that are mostly all open all day. We rarely see more than one or two mosquitoes now.

                                            Frank Woolf

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 21, 2016
                                                I had a farm in Florida USA, we had thick clouds of mosquitos at times  each year, they came from the surrounding swamp, and forest areas,as well as wet areas on my property. I tried draining my land into a pond, and using  mosquito fish,   built bat houses, and put in mosquito traps, -- it helped a little.  For me, the mosquito was just a part of the environment I had to except and work with. - much less problem really than gators, and water moccasins. When the sun went down , or at certain times of year, they were just expected and protective clothing and repellent was a part of farming.
                                              • kali dasan
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 22, 2016
                                                  Hi please. I received your mail. Am a farmer like exotic vegetables
                                                  and herbs. You need anything please.
                                                  Best regards
                                                  kalidasan