forest garden resource

  • nova wright
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 20, 2011
      Found this incredible something of a single stop shop for the array of plants for forest garden establishment,
      I am still looking for other sources for many of these things in bare root stock choice/price range. and otherwise.
      if any one know that please let me know
      any way amazing catalog
      any other recommendations, since i am still needing help getting started in this
      Thanks

      nova

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5260 (20100707) __________

      http://www.eset.com
    • Bekki Shining Bearheart LMT
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2011
        One Green World is great and I have had good luck with their plants.

        I always am looking for less expensive options and also for options
        nearer home (OGW is on the west coast and I am in Ohio, and their plants
        tend to be expensive to buy and to ship). Horizon Herbs (whihc someone
        here mentioned recently) has many different seeds so if you don't mind
        starting from scratch that is a good option. They carry medicinals
        primarily, but many food shrubs are also medicinals-- goji berry, elder,
        sea buckthorn and schisandra being four that I have perchased from
        Horizon and grown from seed. Horizon has the European elder (sambucus
        nigra) as well as the North American varieties.

        That being said, I have a Hungarian cherry tree from One Green World
        that I love, and I don't know of any other source for it in the states.

        nova wright wrote:

        > Found this incredible something of a single stop shop for the array of
        > plants for forest garden establishment,
        > I am still looking for other sources for many of these things in bare
        > root stock choice/price range. and otherwise.
        > if any one know that please let me know
        > any way amazing catalog
        > www.onegreenworld.com <http://www.onegreenworld.com>
        > any other recommendations, since i am still needing help getting
        > started in this
        > Thanks
        > nova

        > signature database 5260 (20100707) __________

        > http://www.eset.com

      • Tom Gibson
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2011

          We had a lot of problems with One Green World stock. I would look at www.raintreenursery.com for better quality stock and a similar price and selection.

        • Allen Hancock
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2011
            Re: [pfaf] forest garden resource
            One Green World has a lot to offer.  With ten years of experience ordering from OGW I would say that their descriptions are not always accurate.   They get a lot of their nursery stock from outside suppliers and rely on them for information.

            Also keep in mind that what may grow and produce as described in one location may not do so in another location.  This is particularly true with the more experimental plants that haven't been cultivated for generations so the knowledge base hasn't been developed yet.  Burnt Ridge Nursery in Washington is a much smaller operation, but I've found that they have more knowledge about what they sell and particularly what will grow in the Pacific NW.  Their prices are often lower as well.  Raintree Nursery is somewhere in between these two. I hope that helps.

            Allen

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 22, 2011
              Thanks Allen
              Yes i did know about the growing area factor.
              But so far it has been difficult to find somewhere to start, i have Raintrees catalog coming, and i will get this other burnt ridge nursery.
              nova

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 22, 2011
                Thanks Bekki
                yes i am in the Midwest too, and it is hard enough to find a regular nursery
                here anymore........
                I Love Horizon Herbs and since a great deal of what i want to grow is
                medicinal i all ready am working on those from seeds, i have also been
                finding some rare/odd seeds on eBay as well, which i am considering.
                nova