Re: [pfaf] Dye Plants

  • Alice Yaxley
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 20, 2011
      Ragwort makes a dye as well, though it's a poisonous weed and can be
      harmful to horses if for example it gets dried up and they eat it by
      accident (they wouldn't eat it green)
      http://www.twocrows.co.uk/kaleidescopes/text-pages/ragwort-text.html
      Senecio jacobaea . Didn't see that in the other list, maybe missed it
      upnder another name.

      Alice Yaxley

      On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 7:44 PM, francesca.owen01@...
      <francesca.owen01@...> wrote:

      > has any one got any suggestions?

    • J Katharine Locke
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2011

        Hi Francesca

        There’s a spinning group at Vauxhall City Farm in London which grows plants for its dyes.  The website of the group leaders is www.dyework.co.uk.

        Good luck!

        Katharine

      • Francesca
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 21, 2011
          Dear Matthew,

          Thanks you for your feedback on dye plants. The table you recommended is excellent, Ive been using it loads, finding out about the history, propogation and cultivation etc of each one. I agree about B & T it didn't seem to have much and wasn't able to buy any plants, are you connected with them? I saw from your email

          Lastly do you know anywhere I could obtain some cuttings of these plants in exchange for some other skills?

          All the best

          Francesca

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 21, 2011
            Dear Alex

            Thanks you for your feedback on dye plants. I am going through the options, there seems to be so many now, my passion for plants is deepening even more than before- I can't believe how much they can do and how useful they are!!