Re: Re : [pfaf] fodder plants [snails]

  • Carles
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 10, 2011
      Hi there,

      Thank you for all your information. Here in Lleida, Catalonia, we eat snails regularly. Once picked from the wild, we just let them fast for a couple of weeks or so, in that way they taste better. They are eaten with garlic sauce (allioli, in Catalan language meaning: garlic & oil) and on the shells we sprinke salt, pepper and we also pour cognac while cooking them. Parsley can be added sometimes according to taste preferences.

      Snails are found all over the country, specially in places where herbicides are not used. Populations have declined though in the last decades because of chemicals coming from agriculture.

      It is advisable to keep a patch of land where snails can reproduce and grow, with fresh grass and a variety of herbs. They like some moisture. We spread hiding places for them such as tiles, clay pots upside down, etc. so that they can stay there during extreme weather seasons. It is also easier to pick them from those spots. But if they haven`t those hiding places they dig holes into the ground and stay there.

      Cheers,
      Carles

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, vidal rodolphe <rodolphe_vidal@...> wrote:

      > Dear all,
      >
      > As a french snail eater, we use to feed snail with wheat flour to "purify" their
      > digestion track. It is easy to see when they are clean cause they reject only
      > flour.
      > I confirm the use of garlic, petroselinum (dont know the english word) to
      > prepare them. In france, we usually cook them with a 'beurre d'escargot" which
      > is butter mixed with garlic and parsley (finally found the word). It is quite
      > good but we don't eat so much snails here in france.
      > rodolphe
      >

      > ________________________________
      > De : Cyndee S <cyndeesings@...>
      > À : pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      > Envoyé le : Mer 9 février 2011, 13h 27min 31s
      > Objet : Re: [pfaf] fodder plants [snails]
      >

      > About 20 years ago, Mother Earth News had a little article about
      > "pre-marinating" snails. The last week of their lives, you feed them just red
      > wine, which they seem to like. It purifies thier digestion track, and adds
      > flavor. Then cook as usual, with lots of garlic. This recipe is for people, not
      > DUCKS :)
      > Cyndee

    • Carles
      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 10, 2011