Re: [pfaf] fodder plants

  • אדמאמא
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 6, 2011
      what about the obvious- Alfalfa? perennial, nitrogen fixer, great for all ruminants+ poultry, food & medicine for men.

      2011/2/7 Peter knop <peterknop@...>

      One of the best fodder plants for ruminants as well as pretty much all other vegetative consumers from a nutrient point of view, esp. protein, is bamboo.  Makes excellent understory in a forest and is evergreen, so with proper management is a 12 month of the year source of feed. We use it for goats, cows, horses, sheep. They prefer it to any other grass we grow, and no issues with colic or similar.

      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 10, 2011
        Hi there,

        Thank you for all your information. Here in Lleida, Catalonia, we eat snails regularly. Once picked from the wild, we just let them fast for a couple of weeks or so, in that way they taste better. They are eaten with garlic sauce (allioli, in Catalan language meaning: garlic & oil) and on the shells we sprinke salt, pepper and we also pour cognac while cooking them. Parsley can be added sometimes according to taste preferences.

        Snails are found all over the country, specially in places where herbicides are not used. Populations have declined though in the last decades because of chemicals coming from agriculture.

        It is advisable to keep a patch of land where snails can reproduce and grow, with fresh grass and a variety of herbs. They like some moisture. We spread hiding places for them such as tiles, clay pots upside down, etc. so that they can stay there during extreme weather seasons. It is also easier to pick them from those spots. But if they haven`t those hiding places they dig holes into the ground and stay there.

        Cheers,
        Carles