Re: [pfaf] fodder plants

  • nova wright
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 6, 2011
      Oh Thanks Matthew, for the helps
      ; ) i almost listed the animal classes, but then thought it was a bit lengthy.
      Dairy goats and rabbits, first as they are in management systems currently dependant on high quality forage and or concentrate feed stuffs, moringa and lucena and kudzu actually fill the bill technically, but all have issues environmentally here, one way or another.
      And although i plan to incorporate all here in the manner that they allow, i think surely there are others more correctly suited for here.
      Zone 5 ish depending on which map you look at, I hope the cooler type lucena will be able to be accommodated to winter over one way or another, if not hoping that fall back on cuttings to winter over, will make it sustainable.
      We also have large number of sheep, angora goats, donkey , chicken and various other creature that benefit from concentrate stuffs as well, just not as dependant on
      Thanks again, i will study all this next
      nova
      Message 44 of 44 , Feb 10, 2011
        Hi there,

        Thank you for all your information. Here in Lleida, Catalonia, we eat snails regularly. Once picked from the wild, we just let them fast for a couple of weeks or so, in that way they taste better. They are eaten with garlic sauce (allioli, in Catalan language meaning: garlic & oil) and on the shells we sprinke salt, pepper and we also pour cognac while cooking them. Parsley can be added sometimes according to taste preferences.

        Snails are found all over the country, specially in places where herbicides are not used. Populations have declined though in the last decades because of chemicals coming from agriculture.

        It is advisable to keep a patch of land where snails can reproduce and grow, with fresh grass and a variety of herbs. They like some moisture. We spread hiding places for them such as tiles, clay pots upside down, etc. so that they can stay there during extreme weather seasons. It is also easier to pick them from those spots. But if they haven`t those hiding places they dig holes into the ground and stay there.

        Cheers,
        Carles