Re: lonicera villosa: drought-resistance and latefrosts

  • trenthillsa
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2011
      Hello Klaus,

      If you're interested in the plant because of the fruit, then a much better and commercially available variety is Lonicera caerulea. It is hardy to at least -40ºC and the blossoms are hardy to -7ºC. I can't vouch for the first temperature but I can for the second. It needs a steady winter not a winter where the temperatures periodically rise enough to trigger growth.

      We've never watered even when we get 6 weeks without rain but we also mulch heavily.

      I know that there are vendors in the UK.

      http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/search/honeyberry
      http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Fruit+Trees+and+Bushes/Honeyberry+Duo+221629.htm
      http://www.thompson-morgan.com/dispatcher?search=honeyberry
      http://www.vanmeuwen.com/fruit/fruit-plants/other-berry-plants/honeyberry/61721VM

      And someone in Poland has found a source - http://ewainthegarden.blogspot.com/2010/07/lonicera-caerulea-var-kamtschatica-huge.html She might be able to direct you to her source.

      For more info on edible blue honeysuckle, see http://ediblebluehoneysuckle.wordpress.com/

      Regards,
      Mike

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      > does anybody have experiences with lonicera villosa? I´m finding
      > contrary informations about water-need on davesgarden.com and
      > fruitipedia.com. What kinds of droughts can it stand?
      > And how susceptable is it to late frosts? How deep can the temperature
      > fall while it has flowers?
      > Greetings from Klaus
      >

      > Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
      > Artilleriestr. 6
      > D-27283 Verden
      > Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470 (lange aufs Klingeln warten)
      > Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
      > http://www.allmende.de.vu
      > Kurze und lange Aufenthalte im Gartenprojekt oft möglich!

    • Matthew Lynch
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2011
        Anyone know where i can source lonicera villosa seed [instead of potted baby plants] in northern Germany?

        Matthew Lynch
        theGreenBackpack