lonicera villosa: drought-resistance and latefrosts

  • Allmende Verden
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2011
      Hello,
      does anybody have experiences with lonicera villosa? I´m finding
      contrary informations about water-need on davesgarden.com and
      fruitipedia.com. What kinds of droughts can it stand?
      And how susceptable is it to late frosts? How deep can the temperature
      fall while it has flowers?
      Greetings from Klaus

      Artilleriestr. 6
      D-27283 Verden
      Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470 (lange aufs Klingeln warten)
      Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
      http://www.allmende.de.vu
    • trenthillsa
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2011
        Hello Klaus,

        If you're interested in the plant because of the fruit, then a much better and commercially available variety is Lonicera caerulea. It is hardy to at least -40ºC and the blossoms are hardy to -7ºC. I can't vouch for the first temperature but I can for the second. It needs a steady winter not a winter where the temperatures periodically rise enough to trigger growth.

        We've never watered even when we get 6 weeks without rain but we also mulch heavily.

        I know that there are vendors in the UK.

        http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/search/honeyberry
        http://www.suttons.co.uk/Shop/Fruit+Trees+and+Bushes/Honeyberry+Duo+221629.htm
        http://www.thompson-morgan.com/dispatcher?search=honeyberry
        http://www.vanmeuwen.com/fruit/fruit-plants/other-berry-plants/honeyberry/61721VM

        And someone in Poland has found a source - http://ewainthegarden.blogspot.com/2010/07/lonicera-caerulea-var-kamtschatica-huge.html She might be able to direct you to her source.

        For more info on edible blue honeysuckle, see http://ediblebluehoneysuckle.wordpress.com/

        Regards,
        Mike

        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Allmende Verden <allmendeperma@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > does anybody have experiences with lonicera villosa? I´m finding
        > contrary informations about water-need on davesgarden.com and
        > fruitipedia.com. What kinds of droughts can it stand?
        > And how susceptable is it to late frosts? How deep can the temperature
        > fall while it has flowers?
        > Greetings from Klaus
        >

        > Allmende e.V.-Gemeinschaftlicher Permakulturgarten für Verden
        > Artilleriestr. 6
        > D-27283 Verden
        > Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470 (lange aufs Klingeln warten)
        > Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
        > http://www.allmende.de.vu
        > Kurze und lange Aufenthalte im Gartenprojekt oft möglich!

      • Matthew Lynch
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 31, 2011
          Anyone know where i can source lonicera villosa seed [instead of potted baby plants] in northern Germany?

          Matthew Lynch
          theGreenBackpack