green manure/mulch

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2011
      Hi Ludwig,

      This is Steve in Bermuda.

      Comfrey is indeed a great plant to use, especially around young trees, as you can chop and drop the old growth in place to feed the trees.  Comfrey is also an excellent barrier plant for lawns and other border situations.
      I personally would not sow comfrey just all over the place, though, as it will form large clumps.
      For pasture or other broadacre design, a winter wheat/vetch/rye mixture may be appropriate.  I'm using this a part of my design this year behind chicken tractors to reestablish useful pasture.  The trick in Bermuda's winter is to keep the soil aerated, since it's our wet season.  I like to keep things growing in all un-mulched soils, or erosion and compaction is rapid.  In addition, this crop will turn into soil in the springtime.  Vetch is a nitrogen fixing legume.
      Clover is another option.. perennial white dutch clover (3 to 5 years) is a nice low cover crop you could intersperse as well.

      Peace

      Steve.

      --
      "All that is gold does not glitter,