Re: [pfaf] Re: Fwd: Call for help with an online Plant Database

  • sam
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 25, 2011
      Nice site, I found a couple of interesting plants.

      Where is the submit form where users can submit content?

      Thanks

      Sam

      > Hi Permaculturalists,

      > Can you spare a few hours for some data entry for a Permaculture project?

      > I am in the process of creating a Permaculture Plant

      > Database<http://www.beetlemoose.com/PlantDB/charSelect.php>that is

      > free and open to the public. There are about 300 plants in the

      > database so far with characteristics that Permaculturalists might find

      > useful: Functions, physical description, blooming times, beneficial insects

      > attracted, etc. In the near future, users will be able to leave comments

      > about their experiences with certain plants so in this way users can learn

      > from each other.

      > My hope is that the more information that is in the database, the more it

      > can help novice Permaculturalists like myself find the plants to fill

      > certain niches in the garden. The thing is, I need some help with data

      > entry. I have lists of scores of plants (mainly perennials) and many of

      > their characteristics, and I want to put the word out that anyone interested

      > in volunteering a few hours for this project would be greatly appreciated.

      > If you reply to me I can supply you with the plant lists and a user-friendly

      > Excel template on which to record the information.

      > The effort requires some computer experience (Excel spreadsheets, drop-down

      > boxes), and some knowledge of plants would be helpful. The benefits include

      > getting familiar with plants that fit into various Permaculture patterns,

      > and potentially helping to develop the project further.

      > So that's my pitch. Thanks for reading! Hope to hear from you soon.

      > Best,

      > Michael

    • Paul Mackay
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 20, 2011
        About the database as a wiki idea, I thought I might some work I've been doing with Freebase. I've created a couple of Freebase sites around plants, horticulture and permaculture:

        http://plants.freebase.com/
        http://permaculture.freebase.com/
        http://horticulture.freebase.com/

        The permaculture one needs a bit more work in terms of the design but the plants one is a relatively straightforward collection of properties about plants.

        cheers

        paul

        On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:18 PM, thegreenbackpack <matthewklynch@...> wrote:

        why not make your database a wiki, to make it easier for everyone to contribute?