Re: Fwd: Call for help with an online Plant Database

  • thegreenbackpack
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2011
      why not make your database a wiki, to make it easier for everyone to contribute?

      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, refugia <refugia@...> wrote:

      > Hi Permaculturalists,
      >
      > Can you spare a few hours for some data entry for a Permaculture project?
      >
      > I am in the process of creating a Permaculture Plant
      > Database<http://www.beetlemoose.com/PlantDB/charSelect.php>that is
      > free and open to the public. There are about 300 plants in the
      > database so far with characteristics that Permaculturalists might find
      > useful: Functions, physical description, blooming times, beneficial insects
      > attracted, etc. In the near future, users will be able to leave comments
      > about their experiences with certain plants so in this way users can learn
      > from each other.
      >
      > My hope is that the more information that is in the database, the more it
      > can help novice Permaculturalists like myself find the plants to fill
      > certain niches in the garden. The thing is, I need some help with data
      > entry. I have lists of scores of plants (mainly perennials) and many of
      > their characteristics, and I want to put the word out that anyone interested
      > in volunteering a few hours for this project would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > If you reply to me I can supply you with the plant lists and a user-friendly
      > Excel template on which to record the information.
      >
      > The effort requires some computer experience (Excel spreadsheets, drop-down
      > boxes), and some knowledge of plants would be helpful. The benefits include
      > getting familiar with plants that fit into various Permaculture patterns,
      > and potentially helping to develop the project further.
      >
      > So that's my pitch. Thanks for reading! Hope to hear from you soon.
      >
      > Best,
      > Michael

    • sam
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2011
        Nice site, I found a couple of interesting plants.

        Where is the submit form where users can submit content?

        Thanks

        Sam

        > Hi Permaculturalists,

        > Can you spare a few hours for some data entry for a Permaculture project?

        > I am in the process of creating a Permaculture Plant

        > Database<http://www.beetlemoose.com/PlantDB/charSelect.php>that is

        > free and open to the public. There are about 300 plants in the

        > database so far with characteristics that Permaculturalists might find

        > useful: Functions, physical description, blooming times, beneficial insects

        > attracted, etc. In the near future, users will be able to leave comments

        > about their experiences with certain plants so in this way users can learn

        > from each other.

        > My hope is that the more information that is in the database, the more it

        > can help novice Permaculturalists like myself find the plants to fill

        > certain niches in the garden. The thing is, I need some help with data

        > entry. I have lists of scores of plants (mainly perennials) and many of

        > their characteristics, and I want to put the word out that anyone interested

        > in volunteering a few hours for this project would be greatly appreciated.

        > If you reply to me I can supply you with the plant lists and a user-friendly

        > Excel template on which to record the information.

        > The effort requires some computer experience (Excel spreadsheets, drop-down

        > boxes), and some knowledge of plants would be helpful. The benefits include

        > getting familiar with plants that fit into various Permaculture patterns,

        > and potentially helping to develop the project further.

        > So that's my pitch. Thanks for reading! Hope to hear from you soon.

        > Best,

        > Michael

      • Paul Mackay
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 20, 2011
          About the database as a wiki idea, I thought I might some work I've been doing with Freebase. I've created a couple of Freebase sites around plants, horticulture and permaculture:

          http://plants.freebase.com/
          http://permaculture.freebase.com/
          http://horticulture.freebase.com/

          The permaculture one needs a bit more work in terms of the design but the plants one is a relatively straightforward collection of properties about plants.

          cheers

          paul