suspended composter

  • erez_00
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2011
      I am familiar with composters built so that the composting material contacts bare earth.

      I just saw a commercial composter that is a barrel suspended in the air. There is no contact with earth, but you can easily stir the compost by rotating the barrel.

      Does anyone know if this kind of composter is any good?
    • david.keltie@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2011
        Had one - produced a wet sludge (nowhere for excess liquid to drain). Horrible.

        HTH, David

        On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM, erez_00 <erez_00@...> wrote:
        > I am familiar with composters built so that the composting material contacts bare earth.
        >
        > I just saw a commercial composter that is a barrel suspended in the air. There is no contact with earth, but you can easily stir the compost by rotating the barrel.
        >
        > Does anyone know if this kind of composter is any good?

      • Michael Porter
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2011
          I have one-- they work but, for a large garden, or small farm, -- are over priced, for the amount you can work with,
            --- but-- a person with a yard and small garden, would probly be happy with one--

          Had one - produced a wet sludge (nowhere for excess liquid to drain). Horrible.

          HTH, David

          On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM, erez_00 <erez_00@...> wrote:
          > I am familiar with composters built so that the composting material contacts bare earth.
          >
          > I just saw a commercial composter that is a barrel suspended in the air. There is no contact with earth, but you can easily stir the compost by rotating the barrel.
          >
          > Does anyone know if this kind of composter is any good?

        • Gail Lloyd
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 24, 2011

            Placing your compost on the soil is important because as the materials break down, worms will migrate into the compost & assist with the process (other insects that are harmless will come also).

            Soil microbes are also important - they're found in healthy soils & they make it less likely that a pathogen can establish itself in high enough numbers to harm your plants.  You encourage soil microbes by placing your compost pile on the soil.

            Also turning your pile & keeping it moist encourages microbe growth by adding oxygen and distributing moisture.

            Gail

            I have one-- they work but, for a large garden, or small farm, -- are over priced, for the amount you can work with,
              --- but-- a person with a yard and small garden, would probly be happy with one--

            Had one - produced a wet sludge (nowhere for excess liquid to drain). Horrible.

            HTH, David

            On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 9:30 PM, erez_00 <erez_00@...> wrote:
            > I am familiar with composters built so that the composting material contacts bare earth.
            >
            > I just saw a commercial composter that is a barrel suspended in the air. There is no contact with earth, but you can easily stir the compost by rotating the barrel.
            >
            > Does anyone know if this kind of composter is any good?

          • neil996481
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 24, 2011
              I have had one for a few years and to date have been disappointed with its performance - plan to move it from the north side of my buildings to a warmer position this year and give it another go. Generally, I agree that they are overpriced for what they are. To obtain anything like decent results you need to pay very close attention to the balance between green matter and drier carbon rich material.

              Neil

              --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "erez_00" <erez_00@...> wrote:

              > I am familiar with composters built so that the composting material contacts bare earth.
              >
              > I just saw a commercial composter that is a barrel suspended in the air. There is no contact with earth, but you can easily stir the compost by rotating the barrel.
              >
              > Does anyone know if this kind of composter is any good?

            • Elaine Sommers
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2011
                While we are talking about compost, I had what seems like a more than usual amount of fruit flies back in the autumn last year. Did anyone else have the same problem or was i doing something wrong? It has never happened to me before and I've been composting for years. We moved here last May and so it might be the area or it could be my newly set up composting system. I'm limited to where I can put it as the last resident had practically all the garden covered in blue plastic sheeting years ago, and I am trying to shift it bit by bit which isn;t easy because roots from nearby bushes and trees have come over the edges and then down into the plastic, pinning it to the soil.

                "We are shaped and fashioned by what we love"
                  Goethe

                "Losing your mind can be a peak experience!"
                  Jane Wagner

                "Our nature lies in movement; complete calm is death."
                  Blaise Pascal

                ". . . the greatest peril of life lies in the fact that human food consists entirely of souls. All the creatures that we have to kill to eat, all those that we have to strike down and destroy to make clothes for ourselves, have souls, souls that do not perish with the body . . . All that exists lives."

                from 'Shaman, the wounded healer' by J. Halifax, 1982

                To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

              • BrendasOrganics@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 24, 2011
                  I go with the 2/3 brown to 1/3 green, directly on the soil, sprinkled with wood ashes and moistened when necessary right on top of the ground method and it begins turning within two weeks and is complete within eight weeks. I don't turn it at all. I live in Florida so this may be much slower in colder areas during the cold months but as I recall, when I lived in Illinois, I had bags of leaves fully compost over the winter and the only soil in there was what had been raked up with the leaves.
                  Brenda