Re: Plants to follow chicken

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 16 10:27 PM
      Hi there,

      I'm Steve in Bermuda.

      This response is more to do with the birds themselves than the fodder.. you guys already know about comfrey and dandelions, etc, so I won't go over it again.

      I run several chickens in a tractor (portable bottomless cage), and mostly I like to keep them moving onto fresh forage/lounge area.  There are several really good reasons for this; namely, the chickens get a diverse intake of protein and greens, they are less stressed and they aren't lounging on their own droppings.
      However, several times I have used the tractor to create a deep mulch bed.  To do this I spread and inch or two of fresh, dry hay on top of the old hay every day or two...  after a week or two, there's a thick mat of hay which is nicely interspersed with chicken manure.  After removing the tractor, I water the piles a few times.. not strictly necessary, but compost loves to be moist.  After a month or two, the entire lower half of the pile is beautiful and fluffy, mixed into the soil gradually by the earthworms and other decomposers.  Seriously, it looks like chocolate cake.

      I plant right into this.  Yes, it does need some time to mellow out, but there's no turning or digging.
      The carbon in the hay ties up the nitrogen in the manure.

      Peace,

      Steve.

      --
      The rule of no realm is mine . . . great or small.
      But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care.
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 28, 2010
        Hmm, no mails since midjuli...
        ...and that this doesnt bore you only: Our biggest peaches are dead
        since we had extreme latefrosts this year (the young leaves died), the
        same problems on young castaneas and juglans´. We had the most extreme
        mousepopulation ever in the following drought. The trees had very few
        fruits due to extreme long&cold winter and late frosts killing
        flowers. That´s a bit of this year in north germany. &greetings from
        Klaus

        Zitat von Steve <permalove@...>:

        > Hi there,
        >
        > I'm Steve in Bermuda.
        >
        > This response is more to do with the birds themselves than the fodder.. you
        > guys already know about comfrey and dandelions, etc, so I won't go over it
        > again.
        >
        > I run several chickens in a tractor (portable bottomless cage), and mostly I
        > like to keep them moving onto fresh forage/lounge area. There are several
        > really good reasons for this; namely, the chickens get a diverse intake of
        > protein and greens, they are less stressed and they aren't lounging on their
        > own droppings.
        > However, several times I have used the tractor to create a deep mulch bed.
        > To do this I spread and inch or two of fresh, dry hay on top of the old hay
        > every day or two... after a week or two, there's a thick mat of hay which
        > is nicely interspersed with chicken manure. After removing the tractor, I
        > water the piles a few times.. not strictly necessary, but compost loves to
        > be moist. After a month or two, the entire lower half of the pile is
        > beautiful and fluffy, mixed into the soil gradually by the earthworms and
        > other decomposers. Seriously, it looks like chocolate cake.
        >
        > I plant right into this. Yes, it does need some time to mellow out, but
        > there's no turning or digging.
        > The carbon in the hay ties up the nitrogen in the manure.
        >
        > Peace,
        >
        > Steve.
        >

        > --
        > The rule of no realm is mine . . . great or small.
        > But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are
        > my care.
        > And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task . . . if anything passes
        > through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again
        > in days to come.
        > For I also am a steward. Did you not know?
        > ~ Gandalf

        Artilleriestr. 6
        D-27283 Verden
        Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470 (lange aufs Klingeln warten)
        Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
        http://www.allmende.de.vu
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 28, 2010
          Reg......
          Peaches...and Nectarines
          Anyne have
          early maturing
          and
          Curly leaf - (Taphrina ) resistant peaches,
          willing to send me some pits ??

          Geir Flatabø

          Zitat von Steve <permalove@...>:

          > Hi there,
          >
          > I'm Steve in Bermuda.
          >
          > This response is more to do with the birds themselves than the fodder.. you
          > guys already know about comfrey and dandelions, etc, so I won't go over it
          > again.
          >
          > I run several chickens in a tractor (portable bottomless cage), and mostly I
          > like to keep them moving onto fresh forage/lounge area.  There are several
          > really good reasons for this; namely, the chickens get a diverse intake of
          > protein and greens, they are less stressed and they aren't lounging on their
          > own droppings.
          > However, several times I have used the tractor to create a deep mulch bed.
          > To do this I spread and inch or two of fresh, dry hay on top of the old hay
          > every day or two...  after a week or two, there's a thick mat of hay which
          > is nicely interspersed with chicken manure.  After removing the tractor, I
          > water the piles a few times.. not strictly necessary, but compost loves to
          > be moist.  After a month or two, the entire lower half of the pile is
          > beautiful and fluffy, mixed into the soil gradually by the earthworms and
          > other decomposers.  Seriously, it looks like chocolate cake.
          >
          > I plant right into this.  Yes, it does need some time to mellow out, but
          > there's no turning or digging.
          > The carbon in the hay ties up the nitrogen in the manure.
          >
          > Peace,
          >
          > Steve.
          >

          > --
          > The rule of no realm is mine . . . great or small.
          > But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are
          > my care.
          > And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task . . . if anything passes
          > through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again
          > in days to come.
          > For I also am a steward. Did you not know?
          >  ~ Gandalf

          Artilleriestr. 6
          D-27283 Verden
          Tel   (+49) 4231- 90 30 470 (lange aufs Klingeln warten)
          Mobil (+49) 17 66166 8718
          http://www.allmende.de.vu

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional