Comfrey as animal fodder (Hepatotoxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids )

  • Matteo Mazzola
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8 12:01 AM
      Hi guys,

      do you know if animals  liver (cow, pigs, chicken,ect) could have any problem if comfrey would be given on a daily basis?

      I know that human should avoid to eat too much comfrey because Hepatotoxic pyrrolizidine alkaloids could clog liver veins.

      Do you think making silage from comfrey could inhibit that alkaloid?
      Do you know how much comfrey can eat a domestic animal per day?

      Thanks

      Matteo

    • Joel Ridgeway
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12 4:45 PM

        Hi Matteo,

        Comfrey is banned in Australia and some other countries because of bad press and drug companies. Comfrey has been used for thousands of years internally and it never caused a problem. Read the following article:

        http://www.herbsarespecial.com.au/free-herb-information/comfrey.html

        Regards,

        Joel

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13 3:39 AM
          I have fed Comfrey to Rabbits and chickens, to test it as a feed additive,
             Rabbits, ---I fed up to 50%of the diet with no problems, while in confinement.
           After an incease to 75% in Rabbits, I noticed a slower growth rate and over-all
           poorer health, , upon butcher there was some liver discoloration, that was not
          evident when previous trial Rabbits were butchered.
             In the chickens no negative effect was noticed, until increase to 90% of diet, then
          poor growth rate was noticed, but no liver damage was noticed at butcher
          [none visible by observation]  -when Chickens were put in a fenced feild with
           comfrey as the field crop, and fed no other food, there was no noticable negative
           result, ,how-ever they did keep all the weeds eaten , and scratch for bugs.
           I think Comfrey has had some very misleading bad press, --

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 15 2:21 PM
            i can recommend 'Comfrey past, present and future' by Laurance Hills
            it list how to use comfrey for fodder and protein levels, minerals etc
            an old book(1976) but takes a scientific approach to all the benefits of comfrey

            On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Michael Porter <michaels4gardens@...> wrote:

[...]

            Cesca Beamish
            Corner Plot
            07963833611
            www.cornerplotvegetables.co.uk
          • Rhisiart Gwilym
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 16 11:06 PM
              Re: [pfaf] Comfrey as animal fodder (Hepatotoxic pyrrolizi
              You can get a complete e-book by Lawrence about comfrey and its uses (one of his great specialities), free or for a donation, from this site: www.soilandhealth.org/

              E-copies of 'The One-Straw Revolution' are also available from this source.

              RhG