Re: amelanchier plants sought and inspiration for a forest garden in moderate climate

  • Gaardenier
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2010

      Hallo Phil and Maureen,

      Here in Flanders, near to Antwerp city, we are also busy with a forest garden. We rented a 1200 m piece of railroad land and cutted away a lot of Robinias.

      Since about four years we planted (only the surviving are mentioned):

      -Goji berries (Lycium barbarum, small and broad leaved)

      -Canadian grapes

      -Ashwaganda

      -Persimon (Diospyros Kaki and Lotus)

      -Lingonberries (Vaccinium Vitis ideae)

      -Cornus mas

      -Honeyberry (Edible honeysuckle)

      -Juniper communis (wild)

      -Wild medlar

      -Wild apple (crab- or malus sylvestris)

      -Sloe or Blackthorn

      -Beach plum (Prunus maritime, we think the first in Europe !)

      -Actinidia arguta (small hardy kiwiberries)

      -Sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides - L.)

      -Russian olive (Eleagnus angustifolia and E. multiflora - Silverberry)

      -Flowering quince (Chaenomeles)

      -Japanese wineberry (rubus phoenicolasiu) and the Hybrid Dormanred.

      -Ginkgo biloba

      -Rhodiola rosea

      There is a lot more in this bush alike garden, like other rubus, ribes prunus, and the like, but that would make this list to extensive.

      We would also appreciate you inspire us and are willing to exchange seeds, cuttings, barerooted plants, aso.

      Leo Aerts

      Mortsel – Flanders ( belgium )