Re: [pfaf] 'Natural' Wood Preservative

  • Erich Enke
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2010
      For smaller projects, I use shellac.  It's food grade, and eco-friendly, and I've been pleased with how well it works.  It's essentially a secretion of the lac beetle -- a renewable resource.

      Erich

      On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 4:12 PM, patbrry <madd0ct0r@...> wrote:

      Hello, anybody have any good ideas for a good timber preservative that's minimally polluting?

      It's an existing wooden bridge over a stream in a damp welsh valley.

      Whatever goes on the bridge will also splash/drip in the stream. It's a nature reserve, so collateral damage is not acceptable.

      the EA's website is not entirely helpful, and skimming the pfaf database seems to be hinting to use Garlic Oil as a fungicide.

      I think we can see the problem there.

      any other ideas?

    • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2010
        rebuild the bridge using naturally rot resistant woods
        rebuild the bridge, treating the wood before installation

        See if you can find someone who can treat the wood without getting more of the preservative in the stream than on the bridge. There will be parts that cannot be treated, usually the parts that stay wet longest and rot quickest - the accessible parts get air and sun-dried, which tends to prevent rot.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_preservation#Naturally_rot-resistant_woods

        "natural" chemical treatments:
        Tung oil, from the seeds of the tree species Aleurites fordii:
        http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Aleurites%20fordii&sref=5071
        Vinegar (acetic acid)
        Wood Vinegar

        All the best,