Re: [pfaf] 'Natural' Wood Preservative

  • Dianne
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2010
      Hi!
      This may be waaaay out of my league, but you may want to research how they finished the wood on old sea ships.
      maybe this site can direct you: http://www.archaeolink.com/ancient_ships.htm
      I've used hydrogen peroxide spray to deter black mold in my house.  Maybe fine misting the bridge with food grade hydrogen peroxide...or even a stout pau' d arco tea, so it doesn't drip into the stream. Then maybe make a beeswax and natural oil "finish" mix with tea tree, garlic, pine needle oil, etc.... to coat/finish the (untraveled) wood surface.
      Best of luck, sounds like heaven where you live! :-)

      Message 2 of 4 , May 31, 2010
        For smaller projects, I use shellac.  It's food grade, and eco-friendly, and I've been pleased with how well it works.  It's essentially a secretion of the lac beetle -- a renewable resource.

        Erich

      • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 31, 2010
          rebuild the bridge using naturally rot resistant woods
          rebuild the bridge, treating the wood before installation

          See if you can find someone who can treat the wood without getting more of the preservative in the stream than on the bridge. There will be parts that cannot be treated, usually the parts that stay wet longest and rot quickest - the accessible parts get air and sun-dried, which tends to prevent rot.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_preservation#Naturally_rot-resistant_woods

          "natural" chemical treatments:
          Tung oil, from the seeds of the tree species Aleurites fordii:
          http://b-and-t-world-seeds.com/carth.asp?species=Aleurites%20fordii&sref=5071
          Vinegar (acetic acid)
          Wood Vinegar

          All the best,