RE: [pfaf] Pasteurizing medicinal infused oils ok?

  • Joel Ridgeway
    Message 1 of 15 , May 24, 2010

      I would say avoid pasteurization altogether. The medicinal components in herbs are often very susceptible to heat. Unfortunately microbes are most often stronger heat wise than the beneficial components. Grapefruit seed extract is a good preservative for creams and lotions.

      Regards,

      Joel

      Student Herbalist

      Message 2 of 15 , May 25, 2010
        Hi "AJ"

        I agree with Joel; especially in the case of essential oil extracts.
        Heat would, in many cases, negate the benefits of your preparation.
        The volatility of essential oils increases greatly with heat, and they
        disperse rapidly.

        Happily, some of the oils most susceptible to heat are also
        antimicrobial/antibacterial in nature (such as thyme), and will be a
        natural deterrent to contamination.

        As for your shelf life issue; most people know to buy fresh
        preparations, and so I would say that your base of consumers would
        readily accept a label stating "use before this date."

        Peace,

        Steve.

        --
        I walked over to the asparagus and said, "We don't have to plow for
        you; why do we have to plow for the other vegetables?"
        Message 3 of 15 , May 25, 2010
          some oils are extracted under heat anyway. two suggestions.

          1. determine the mode of the oil's extraction in the first place.

          2. get ahold of some disinfectant spray, that has the original
          lysol spray formula which uses ammonium chloride not
          ammonium succinate (spelling?) which is good, but the
          original formula is better.

          while you are infusing the oil, spray the air.

          Best wishes in Christ,

          Mary Christine

          Message 4 of 15 , May 26, 2010
            A few drops of Vitamin E oil added to your infusions will help to preserve and protect them from contamination. Start with sterile equipment and seal thoroughly to protect from invasion. The heat of pasteuraization is definitely destructive to volatile oils. But keep in mind that cold temperatures also inhibit bacterial growth.
          • Anthony Johnson
            Message 5 of 15 , May 28, 2010
              Thanks. I was reading about GSE recently. However, since that is mainly used as an antioxidant, as opposed to an antimicrobial. So, I have been wondering what if anything can be done to counter that, aside from using various synthetic chemicals. So far, based on what I've read and heard from others, there doesn't seem to be very many options. Thanks for your input. I will certainly keep that in mind.

              Aaron.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 28, 2010
                Thanks, Steve. I've read about rosemary oil extract, which apparently contains more distilled plant properties than regular essential oils. So, that is something I'm considering. Also, I completely appreciate the "mortality" if you will, of natural and organic ingredients and products. This is the reason I do not want to use synthetic antimicrobials and preservatives. I'm not looking to have a product that lasts indefinitely, but only to get as long a shelf life as possible, by natural means. Right now it looks like the rosemary oil extract, vitame E with d tocopherals is the way to go, forgoing pasteurization. Still, I dont' quite feel sure about the pasteurization issue. I think it warrants more investigation and maybe even some testing on my on.

                Thanks!

                Aaron

                Message 7 of 15 , May 28, 2010
                  Thanks Judy.

                  It's still a bit of a contradiction when you consider that we use heat often to extract medicinal properties from plants in teas, decoctions, poltices, etc. Of course, these tend to be used more immediately. Nevertheless, I'm thinking the way to go maybe a heat infused oil (low heat in airtight container), then vitamine E d-tocopheral type and rosemary oil extract. Of course, I will also have to work harder at maintaining sterile equipment and containers. Not an easy task in your average kitchen!

                  Aaron.

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 28, 2010
                    Well, I would never think to use something as harsh as lysol. Or do I just have the wrong impression of this product? Your first comment is exactly what I've been wondering about. I mean, in my case, I make the oils myself, so I know how they are made. But, the question around heat infusions still lingers as a bit of a contradiction in the anti-pasteurization argument. Not completely contradictory, but enough to warrant more consideration of the question at hand.

                    Thanks!

                    Aaron

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 28, 2010
                      Thanks to all who replied. I just realized I could reply here. I replied to all of you by email instead. Since I do not have copies of my emails to you, I will not post them here. But thank you very much for your input. Lesson learned! I will reply here in the future.

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 29, 2010
                        I thought by infusion you were referring to diffusing sorry my
                        confusion.

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 29, 2010
                          Hi
                          You may find this group helpful for cosmetic use of herbs
                          HTH

                          On 29 May 2010 06:25, Anthony Johnson <aj_translators@...> wrote:
                          Thanks. I was reading about GSE recently. However, since that is mainly used as an antioxidant, as opposed to an antimicrobial. So, I have been wondering what if anything can be done to counter that, aside from using various synthetic chemicals. So far, based on what I've read and heard from others, there doesn't seem to be very many options. Thanks for your input. I will certainly keep that in mind.

                          Aaron.

                        • Steve
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 30, 2010
                            Hi Aaron,

                            In reference to your message to Judy, where you mention the apparent
                            contradiction of how plants' medicinal properties are extracted by
                            heat using teas, decoctions and poultices, it must be pointed out that
                            one could not hope to effectively extract volatile essential oils into
                            a water solution - this is especially relevant to teas and decoctions,
                            since they are by definition water-based and involve extended exposure
                            to heat.
                            These preparations are more properly used to extract other properties
                            from plants. For instance, in addition to essential oils, plants may
                            contain alkaloids, glycosides, mucilage, polysaccharides, resins,
                            saponins and tannins.

                            (the following information may be found in "Making Plant Medicine" by
                            Richo Cech - an excellent resource)

                            Resins are soluble in alcohol and hot oil, but insoluble in water,
                            whereas mucilage, polysaccharides, saponins and tannins are
                            water-soluble (tannins may also be dissolved in glycerin). Essential
                            oils are soluble in alcohol (tincture) and cold-pressed fixed oils
                            like olive oil, sweet almond oil or jojoba oil. Alkaloids are soluble
                            in alcohol and may be rendered unstable by heat.

                            Peace,

                            Steve.

                            --
                            "Soon we realized that these men . . . they were mad. They wanted the
                            land; they wanted to carry away the wood; they were also searching for

                            ~ Isabel Allende, from The Stories of Eva Luna
                          • Anthony Johnson
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 30, 2010
                              Thanks Steve.

                              Hmmmm. I really appreciate your point. However, I do not take that to mean that essential oils cannot be extracted into an aqueous solution, such as tea, by way of heat infusion. My understanding is that the essential oil will not lend itself to uniform diffusion in an aqueous solution. In other words, it would be like dropping a ball of oil into a cup of water. Or better yet, like taking a fish oil capsule and boiling it in water. The capsule will break down and the oil will be released into the water by the heat process, but it will not mix or blend well with the water. The very process of obtaining essential oils (which of course are not really oils, but blend well with oil and tend to act like oils in water) involves distillation and water is usually employed. However, the essential oil will generally sit at the top of the water and afterwards, is collected by sort of skimming it from the water's surface. Therefore, I do not think the point is that
                              teas from hot infusion do not contain essential oils. One of the concerns is that the heat will cause them to evaporate rather quickly. However, if a good lid is used during the steeping step of making your tea, evaporation can be minimized and the tea will indeed contain essential oils. I usually let the liquid that has condensed on the surface of the lid drip back into the container before I consume the tea. Also, as I mentioned in my original post, I am making creams, which are oil and water mixtures. The high-powered and high speed blending process sort of bridges the incompatible nature of oil/water, so that the essential oils may be floating at on the top of my tea portions of the cream, is not really an issue in the end. Of course, I also always have the option of reserving plants high in essential oils for oil infusions, rather than teas, and using plants where the essential oil is not the main target for the water infusions. I usually do both,
                              however, just to get an extra boost in the oil and water form, before blending them together.

                              All that said, the matter of whether to pasteurize or not to pasteurize has more or less been resolved. Although I will still keep in open mind.

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 30, 2010
                                        Dear Steve & Aaron:
                                            What you make and sell interests me greatly, not for injection of the oils though.
                                            In that I'm allergic to alcohol all forms of the stuff, as a habit I wear perfumed oils, as I'd much rather smell like a flower than a dirty armpit.
                                            When I was there in 04 I bought a bottle of something I gave to a friend, it was way too strong for me.
                                            But settle scents are just fine, and they don't offend any one here.
                                Shalom, Shalom, Yosef of Ok.