Re: [pfaf] Bebbs Oak — Quercus x bebbiana (macroca rpa x aba) Anyone know this tree??

    Message 1 of 3 , May 24 2:17 PM
      Are acorns available ??

      Geir Flatabø

      2010/5/23 Smittyctz6 <cityhomesteader@...>
      Bebbs Oak — Quercus x bebbiana (macrocarpa x aba)
      Bur x White Native Seedling Hybrid-Good Acorn Producer - Faster Growth
      Rate than White Oak
      Bebbs oak is a fairly common hybrid found within the range of bur oak.
      Usually they look similar to bur oak in the wild but occasionally you
      will find some hybrids closer to the white oak. At times these crosses
      are difficult to define until you grow a number of the seedlings to
      fruiting. That is exactly what we did. What we found was that bebbs
      oak seedlings produce symmetrically branched trees with good yields of
      acorns. Trees average about 2 foot of growth per year. Our seed trees
      were selected as the most vigorous out of hundreds of seedlings. Bebbs
      oak is a good cross for a variety of uses including wood production.
      Maybe it could be used in say a “stimulus” package. Height and width
      to 60 ft. Hardiness -30 °F.

      --
      Bruce Smith
      InHisThyme Homestead

      @{--+----+------+------------

      A little faith will bring your soul to heaven, but a lot of faith will
      bring heaven to your soul.  ~Author Unknown

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)