RE: [pfaf] plants good to pick now

  • Elaine Sommers
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2010
      Hi Tomas, what do you use the lime and the beech leaves for? Do you use them in salads or teas or something else? I have recently read all about the uses for the beech tree as an edible plant and it does recommend them as a salad leaf when young. Also for making Beech Leaf Noyau with gin. The nuts are eaten raw or roasted and can be pressed for oil. If you have any more ideas I would be interested to hear them.

      Blessings,
      Elaine.

      "We are shaped and fashioned by what we love"
        Goethe

      "Losing your mind can be a peak experience!"
        Jane Wagner

      "Our nature lies in movement; complete calm is death."
        Blaise Pascal

      ". . . the greatest peril of life lies in the fact that human food consists entirely of souls. All the creatures that we have to kill to eat, all those that we have to strike down and destroy to make clothes for ourselves, have souls, souls that do not perish with the body . . . All that exists lives."

      from 'Shaman, the wounded healer' by J. Halifax, 1982

      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      From: tomas.remiarz@...
      Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 12:49:26 +0000
      Subject: [pfaf] plants good to pick now

      other plants good in England at the moment are the first lime & beech leaves (young lime leaves are delicious and can be cropped into the summer), the last of the wild garlic (ramsons), hedge garlic (also garlic mustard, Jack-by-the- hedge), chickweed and the first, very young shoots of bracken in some parts of the country.

      happy foraging
      Tomas

      Tomas Remiarz - GreenLand Services

      Sustainable Solutions for Urban and Rural Communities
      Permaculture Design, Teaching and Practice
      Ecological Restoration Projects