Free Seed Exchange

  • Charlie
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2010
      Hello Plants for a Future!! It's great to find you guys. I'm sorry to write an essay but I hope it's going to be really worth your while reading as I'm proposing a way in which we can all share the seeds of our most beloved plants FOR FREE!

      I've just returned from Greece where I was volunteering to help create a festival for the free sharing of seeds. All kinds of seeds were available - for herbs, shrubs, trees but the focus was on the older, tastier varieties of vegetables - that would produce fertile offspring - so that next years seeds could be used again and again.

      All of this was an attempt to become liberated from the big seed companies who aim to monopolise the seed market by producing a monoculture of the biggest, juciest looking produce that the supermarkets demand... I'm sure I don't have to tell you that these veggies don't often seem to taste quite as good as they look!

      The seed companies aim to take total control by producing fruits with sterile seeds - so that farmers and gardeners have to buy from them every year - rather than using the old method of collecting and planting seeds from the previous year's harvest.

      The older, fertile varieties are slowly dying out.

      If the companies succeed in their mission we could be left with a monoculture of tasteless watery food - at the mercy of the fat cat's demands, and leaving the mono variety very suseptible to disease, possibly catastrophe.

      I've just witnessed a wonderful way to combat this problem. 3 weeks ago in Northern Greece over 1000 people gathered for the free exchange of seeds. Farmers from all over the surrounding countries brought their seeds, each setting up a little stand with packets of seeds available for others to take.

      Everybody went home with a sack of seeds of all kinds and varieties with big smiles on their faces - no money was exchanged during the day, except for voluntary donations to make sure this can happen year after year.

      Perhaps the most beautiful thing about the festival was the spirit of unconditional giving - people were giving their seeds without any expectation of return or profit. An idea we seem to have forgotten and quite alien in our climate of cold capitalist competition.

      When you consider that planting a single seed can produce a fruit of 10s, 100s or 1000s of seeds - why should preserving and sharing all this bountiful variety be so difficult?

      I would like to propose we create a similar festival in the UK. It can be very easy if we come together. Everybody should have the right to grow their own food.

      I think the festival would also be perfect to raise awareness of the less widely known 'plants for the future' and to share seeds for those species.

      So I would like to ask you as a community to share your feelings with me. I'm unaware of anything like this taking place near me in the South West but if anyone knows of any seed sharing events across the UK I'd be very interested to hear about them.

      Thanks for your time in reading my words, if you're interested in plants for a future I'm sure you're interested in what I propose. Please reply to this thread to show your support!

      P.S.
      The website for the Greek festival is :
      http://www.peliti.gr/pages_eng/peliti_eng.htm

      (the festival is held on the first Saturday after Easter every year - food and accomodation is free to volunteers, in the beautiful Greek mountains!)
    • joy jacob
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2010

        I am happy to extend my wholehearted support
        of the idea Charlie has put forward to the
        Yahoo Group. I am from India.

        But, I would like to extend the idea to work
        globally so that exchange of seeds be done
        freely by snail mail between, or across, countries
        and political boundaries, because what God has
        created is to be shared with love towards each
        other, irrespective of man-made divisions.

        I am not sure if the laws of some countries will
        permit this exchange. Those who are
        knowledgeable about this may post their views so
        that the whole picture becomes clear.

      • Douglas
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2010

          Great event by great people.

          Uplifting to read such events exist.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 5, 2010
            Yes! Exchanging seeds internationally would be wonderful and I'm sure it can happen in the future but I think there's currently many laws prohibiting the free transportation of seeds across these imaginary boarders (I sent mine through the post without trouble, but you could be less lucky).

            But for now, lets get this idea off the ground!

            So if anyone in this group has seeds that they could spare for others to enjoy, please post a message and I'm sure you'll receive many grateful replies from others.

            To give someone the gift of a seed and let them watch it grow and harvest the fruit - what gift could be more magical?

            I currently possess the seeds of many varieties of trees, though nothing edible at the moment... if you're interested please let me know!

            Charlie

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, joy jacob <joyonjacob@...> wrote:

            > I am happy to extend my wholehearted support
            > of the idea *Charlie* has put forward to the
            > Yahoo Group. I am from India.
            >
            > But, I would like to extend the idea to work
            > globally so that exchange of seeds be done
            > freely by snail mail between, or across, countries
            > and political boundaries, because what God has
            > created is to be shared with love towards each
            > other, irrespective of man-made divisions.
            >
            > I am not sure if the laws of some countries will
            > permit this exchange. Those who are
            > knowledgeable about this may post their views so
            > that the whole picture becomes clear.

          • Gaardenier
            Message 5 of 7 , May 6, 2010

              Hello dear Seeders,

              I only cultivate edible and/or medical trees or shrubs.

              A lot of usefull seeds I bought for very reasonable prices at Schumacher treeseeds in Massachusetts USA.

              Also Silverhill seeds and Lifestyle seeds in South Africa .

              In Germany and Austria at www.tropenland.at and www.tropenland.de  .

              Free of charge is very nice but takes me too long to wait for somebody having something that I want.

              Vriendelijke groeten, kind regards

            • hugo makepeace
              Message 6 of 7 , May 18, 2010

                hi there !

                  i havent checked my pfaf folder for ages, but it feels relevant that i just take a look today and see your mailing re: free seed exchange !!!

                  Yes sir !...  this is indeed the way forward and respects go out to all involved.

                  I live in Oxford, where there is quite a hub of environmentalists, and farmers market people, and allotment keepers, and I know for sure there would be many people willing to help make this happen here. There are some really lovely spots for it to happen too!

                  I'm going to mention it to people and see what feedback i get.

                  If you want to communicate further about this, please use my email address as i dont check all the pfaf postings any more.

                  keep on planting!  ( seeds of change )

                hugo

              • BrendasOrganics@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , May 18, 2010
                  Each country has restrictions as to what can or cannot be brought in.  As long as it is a legal substance all they do is confiscate it here in the US.  You can check with the postal authorities to see what is ok to send and what is not.
                  Brenda