Plants that are good to pick now, before they change texture flavor

  • Francis S
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2010
      Pine Nettles
      Burdock root
      japenese maple ( Acer ) leaves
      young dandelion leaves
      morels(mushrooms hollow, and not red beef stakes)
      (chicken mushroom I do not have much experience of it
      but I plan to harvest some(of the correct species) and cook it this year.)

      pine nettles
      I like the old leaves the young leaves have a lemon taste to them.
      \
      Burdock root Can get gritty when it gets older.
      (I think late may), and it isn't crisp like a carrot.
      the flower stalk is used.

      I know I didn't word That title too good.
      I left some out I just wanted to start this.
      I hope I can get some plants I didn't know of before.
      Young Curly dock(rumex crispus) leaves I accualy like the older leaves/
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2010
        Any latin name for Pine nettles ??
        NEver heard about thet before,,

        best wild greens her by now are:
        Alliums -  victorialis, and ursinum,
        Pennyroyal - Thlaspi alpestre
        Cardamine pratensis,
        Aegopodium podagraria--
        and of course
        Rumex acetosa..

        Geir Flatabø

        (norway)
        2010/5/3 Francis S <manofpeace32@...>
        Pine Nettles
         Burdock root
        japenese maple ( Acer ) leaves
        young dandelion leaves
        morels(mushrooms hollow, and not red beef stakes)
        (chicken mushroom I do not have much experience of it
         but I plan to harvest some(of the correct species) and cook it this year.)

        pine nettles
        I like the old leaves the young leaves have a lemon taste to them.
        \
        Burdock root Can get gritty when it gets older.
         (I think late may), and it isn't crisp like a carrot.
        the flower stalk is used.

        I know I didn't word That title too good.
        I left some out I just wanted to start this.
        I hope I can get some plants I didn't know of before.
        Young Curly dock(rumex crispus) leaves I accualy like the older leaves/

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
           pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Elaine Sommers
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3, 2010
          In England I am currently using stinging nettles (urtica dioica), dandelion leaves (taraxacum officinale), Yarrow (achillea millefolium), chickweed (stellaria media) and cleavers (gallium aparine). There are also plenty of young Hawthorn leaves out at the present time (cratagus monogyna). They were known as 'bread and cheese' in days gone by. They are not to my taste (yet) but I keep trying.

          I have also harvested bittercress (cardamine hirsuta) which is really wonderful in salads, even nicer than watercress in my opinion.

          In fact, everywhere I look is brimming with green foods! After the hard winter we have had it is like a kind of paradise renewed.

          Blessings,
          Elaine XX

          "We are shaped and fashioned by what we love"
            Goethe

          "Losing your mind can be a peak experience!"
            Jane Wagner

          "Our nature lies in movement; complete calm is death."
            Blaise Pascal

          ". . . the greatest peril of life lies in the fact that human food consists entirely of souls. All the creatures that we have to kill to eat, all those that we have to strike down and destroy to make clothes for ourselves, have souls, souls that do not perish with the body . . . All that exists lives."

          from 'Shaman, the wounded healer' by J. Halifax, 1982

          To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
          From: geirf@...
          Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 18:04:09 +0200
          Subject: Re: [pfaf] Plants that are good to pick now, before they change texture flavor

             http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/pfaf/ join
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             pfaf-digest@ yahoogroups. com
             pfaf-fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

             http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

          Get a new e-mail account with Hotmail – Free. Sign-up now.
          Message 4 of 6 , May 4, 2010
            -
            but the bittercress is so tiny / small¨
            or do you have a big clone ???
            Geir Flatabø

            2010/5/3 Elaine Sommers elainesommers@...

            To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com

              From: geirf@...
              Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 18:15:39 +0200

              -

              2010/5/3 Elaine Sommers elainesommers@ live.com

              To: pfaf@yahoogroups. com

              Message 6 of 6 , May 29, 2010
                Bull Thistle is out,

                peal the large flower stalk.
                I did it in the field with hand full of leaves
                just rubbed it
                like I was cleaning a barrle of a shot gun with steel wool
                , I never cleaned one before though I like that rusty or dingy look.

                OH When it get older it gets fiberous hard as Leather,
                Burrdock Roots I think MAy be past there prime, but Im not sure of where your at because of the weather.
                Im not certain even around here, becasue of the weather
                I know last year they weren't good after may was over.
                (but I have only been picking them so long so Maybe I need more experince. I will have to see.)

                I mean't pine neddle's they ALSO taaste good old
                also I lkike blue spruce neddle tea
                Accualy a tea company sells the tea,
                but I think it is fir, or maybe Pindarosa pine.

                I mean't they are soft when picked young, (blue spruce.)