re: plants to follow chickens

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21 9:09 PM
    Hi Lesley,

    I'm Steve in Bermuda.
    I'm running a few chickens (a rooster and two hens, for now) in a
    chicken tractor. The chickens are reclaimed from the "wild" - they
    were running more or less feral and I caught them by dropping feed and
    snatching them. I started off the tractor in a daily movement
    schedule with water and supplemental "scratch" (10% protein) feed.
    Along with typical yard forage plants, they receive kitchen scraps and
    other garden fare, such as papaya which goes too far (or gets chewed
    on by a rat).
    In the daily movement schedule, the yard gets Well mowed, and even
    three birds make a good arguement for moving the cage more than once a
    day in some cases.
    This spring, I have been using alfalfa hay to establish small garden
    beds with the chicken tractor - every two days or so, I layer in a
    good load of hay (enough so they're not walking in their own
    excrement) , and at the end of a week or so, I have a pile of hay
    which is filled with chicken poop and organic material from the green
    chop (we weed the yard to feed them during this time). The carbon in
    the hay ties up the nitrogen in the chicken manure and so far I am
    having no trouble with plants getting burned (as you may guess, you
    wouldn't want to plant into bare soil where a chicken pen had been.
    The photo entitled "North garden w.chickens" shows the tractor and two
    new beds. The garden along the fence is last year's no-dig garden
    bed, which was very productive. A result of that bed is the mass of
    chamomile visible in the other photo, titled "Increasing edge."
    The "island" garden beds will eventually evolve into keyhole beds,
    having joined up with the bed behind them.
    As a sort of answer to your question, I'd say that almost any plant
    may be inserted into these beds. Due to the loose nature of the hay,
    trellis may be needed for plants with any height.

    The first circular bed (at the far end) is planted with tomatoes,
    okra, tobacco, comfrey, beans, squash and onions.
    Please feel free to ask questions.

    Peace,

    Steve

    --
    I walked over to the asparagus and said, "We don't have to plow for
    you; why do we have to plow for the other vegetables?"