Re: Persimmon propagation

  • Gaardenier
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 19, 2010

      I agree of course, that seeds, to germinate, SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any,

      aso.

      Thus except for germination, the seeds must be kept dry.

      Quote:

      Ø    Persimmon seeds SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any

      As far as I understand this phrase, no germination is involved. At the other hand, there are no seeds who need to be dried out for germination, so what is the question basically?

      Vriendelijke groeten,

      Leo Aerts

      Flanders – belgium

    • chex.rice
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 21, 2010
        American Persimmon seeds need to be cold stratified in the
        refrigerator over the winter in damp sand or sphagnum moss.

        Chris Rice
        USDA Hardiness Zone 5a
        Illinois

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 22, 2010
          That is probably right
          althoug
          I have two emerging seedlings coming these last  days,
          without any cold stratifying...

          Geir Flatabø

          2010/4/21 chex.rice <chex.rice@...>
          American Persimmon seeds need to be cold stratified in the
          refrigerator over the winter in damp sand or sphagnum moss.

          Chris Rice
          USDA Hardiness Zone 5a
          Illinois

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Gaardenier" <gaardenier@...> wrote:

          > I agree of course, that seeds, to germinate, SHOULD be kept constantly moist
          > (but not wet) ... any,
          > aso.
          > Thus except for germination, the seeds must be kept dry.
          >
          > Quote:
          > *    Persimmon seeds SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any
          >
          > As far as I understand this phrase, no germination is involved. At the other
          > hand, there are no seeds who need to be dried out for germination, so what
          > is the question basically?
          >
          > Vriendelijke groeten,
          >
          > Leo Aerts
          > Flanders - belgium

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
             pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Francis S
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 25, 2010
            Im not sure if anyone alse wrote this, y
            you mentioned it being dry so maybe this could help too.

            I have found a terarium to work for starting seeds,
            any aqarium sealed I cut A piece of cardboard, ,
            and line it with a platic garbage bag
            to hold in the humidity while they are in pots.
            (Im not sure you you need to,
            but I even add water out side the pots)

            but I even use a plasic Grocery bag
            puffed out not wrapped up for building up humidity.

            I have even went as far as fermenting wine inside the aquarium.
            (In a glass gallon size jar)

            Uncovering it at night IS what I do,
            I also use soil thats not to pasty,
            (it acts different in pots)
            Some decaying leaf matter from a forest floor may be useful.

            --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, Organic Life <Brave.life.earth@...> wrote:

            > thank you for your many great suggestions...I appreciate all of you...the
            > seeds have gone through wintering and also they have been kept moist...here
            > in Texas we get lots of dry spells...of which I think this tiny wild
            > persimmon is adapted to...but I have tried to keep it moist and also have
            > conditions of its original habitat...i did allow some of the seeds to relish
            > in the flesh of the fruits and decay as well...hopefully soon some little
            > sprouts will become available for me...take care

          • Organic Life
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 25, 2010
              Thank you for the furthering of this thread...I like your website idea too...I wish you the most splendid luck. I like Wix.com for a site or zen cart if you ever wish to sell things.
              My little sprouts still have not made it to the surface...boo...however I do like your idea.