appropriate subjects-was:Black walnut companion planting.

  • Allmende Verden
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 18 2:16 AM
      Hey people, in zone 7b I´m interested in walnuts, but not in
      persimmons, so please use appropriate subjects in Emails. Thanks, Klaus

      Zitat von Gaardenier <gaardenier@...>:

      > "I've been told that persimmon seeds have to be kept constantly wet
      >> for them to germinate."
      >
      > Who invented this city rumours ?
      >
      > Vriendelijke groeten,
      >
      > Leo Aerts Flanders - belgium

      Artilleriestr. 6
      D-27283 Verden
      Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470
      Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
      http://www.allmende.de.vu
    • Gail Lloyd
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 18 6:56 AM
        Persimmon seeds SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any hard seed needs some kind of help to break the seed coat & to simulate what they get in nature ... different seeds need different kinds of help, such as scratching the seed (called scarification; in nature, birds do this by eating the seed, going thru their digestion system, then pooping the seed out), soaking in water for a certain period of time (seeds normally sprout in spring, when there is abundant rain), going thru a period of cold to simulate winter (called stratification - see below for more info), etc.

        Water is essential to germination of almost every seed because it penetrates the seed coat of seeds & sets the sprouting process in motion.  Before I plant any veggie seeds or grow sprouts, I always soak seeds for at least 20 minutes.

        In cases where the seeds need the cold of winter to germinate (as with persimmons), place the seeds in a small container with moist (not wet) sand, peat or vermiculite, and leave in refrigerator for 4-6 weeks. This procedure is known as stratificationPersimmons are hard to germinate this way, and even after germinating, will probably not produce true to the parent plant.

        "Propagation of trees is primarily by seed, although root cuttings may be used. Improved varieties are obtained through grafting since persimmons do not reproduce “true” from seeds. Seed must be kept for 60-90 days at 50̊F under moist conditions to obtain good germination, or seed may be planted in the fall and permitted to stratify naturally in the ground over winter. The seed bed should be mulched."
        http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-108.pdf

        More info on germinating seeds from different kinds of trees can be found at:  http://forestry.about.com/od/treeplanting/qt/tree_seed.htm

        Gail, M.G., horticulturist

        “I've been told that persimmon seeds have to be kept constantly wet

        >for them to germinate.”

        Who invented this city rumours ?

        Vriendelijke groeten,

        Leo Aerts   Flanders - belgium

      • Organic Life

          “I've been told that persimmon seeds have to be kept constantly wet
          >for them to germinate.”

          Who invented this city rumours ?

          Vriendelijke groeten,

          Leo Aerts   Flanders - belgium

        • Gaardenier
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 19 11:52 AM

            I agree of course, that seeds, to germinate, SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any,

            aso.

            Thus except for germination, the seeds must be kept dry.

            Quote:

            Ø    Persimmon seeds SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any

            As far as I understand this phrase, no germination is involved. At the other hand, there are no seeds who need to be dried out for germination, so what is the question basically?

            Vriendelijke groeten,

            Leo Aerts

            Flanders – belgium

          • chex.rice
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 21 2:14 PM
              American Persimmon seeds need to be cold stratified in the
              refrigerator over the winter in damp sand or sphagnum moss.

              Chris Rice
              USDA Hardiness Zone 5a
              Illinois

              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 22 6:11 AM
                That is probably right
                althoug
                I have two emerging seedlings coming these last  days,
                without any cold stratifying...

                Geir Flatabø

                2010/4/21 chex.rice <chex.rice@...>
                American Persimmon seeds need to be cold stratified in the
                refrigerator over the winter in damp sand or sphagnum moss.

                Chris Rice
                USDA Hardiness Zone 5a
                Illinois

                --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Gaardenier" <gaardenier@...> wrote:

                > I agree of course, that seeds, to germinate, SHOULD be kept constantly moist
                > (but not wet) ... any,
                > aso.
                > Thus except for germination, the seeds must be kept dry.
                >
                > Quote:
                > *    Persimmon seeds SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any
                >
                > As far as I understand this phrase, no germination is involved. At the other
                > hand, there are no seeds who need to be dried out for germination, so what
                > is the question basically?
                >
                > Vriendelijke groeten,
                >
                > Leo Aerts
                > Flanders - belgium

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Francis S
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 25 2:10 AM
                  Im not sure if anyone alse wrote this, y
                  you mentioned it being dry so maybe this could help too.

                  I have found a terarium to work for starting seeds,
                  any aqarium sealed I cut A piece of cardboard, ,
                  and line it with a platic garbage bag
                  to hold in the humidity while they are in pots.
                  (Im not sure you you need to,
                  but I even add water out side the pots)

                  but I even use a plasic Grocery bag
                  puffed out not wrapped up for building up humidity.

                  I have even went as far as fermenting wine inside the aquarium.
                  (In a glass gallon size jar)

                  Uncovering it at night IS what I do,
                  I also use soil thats not to pasty,
                  (it acts different in pots)
                  Some decaying leaf matter from a forest floor may be useful.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 25 6:30 PM
                    Thank you for the furthering of this thread...I like your website idea too...I wish you the most splendid luck. I like Wix.com for a site or zen cart if you ever wish to sell things.
                    My little sprouts still have not made it to the surface...boo...however I do like your idea.