Re: Black walnut companion planting.

  • mijwiz
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 15 8:15 AM
      --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "brave.life.earth@..." <Brave.life.earth@...> wrote:

      > i would love advice... i am having trouble trying to grow new wild persimmons from the pits.. this tiny fruit is so sweet so i am trying to grow more perhaps the best way to propagate is via branchs

      What species is called "wild persimmon" where you are? Here in the USA, Diospyros virginiana grows wild. The seeds need to be cold-stratified to sprout. The easiest way to do this is to plant them outside in the fall and let them overwinter. They'll sprout in spring.

      However, you might not want to do this, since half the seedlings will be male, and produce no fruit. You might instead want to buy grafted trees, like from here:
      http://www.nolinnursery.com/Persimon.htm

      Or, if you've found a particularly good wild tree, you could try grafting a branch of it onto a seedling.
    • Allen Hancock
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 15 9:08 AM
        Re: [pfaf] Black walnut companion planting.
        I've been told that persimmon seeds have to be kept constantly wet for them to germinate.

        Allen

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 15 12:34 PM
          thank you i have them moist

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 16 11:17 AM
            Re: [pfaf] Black walnut companion planting.
            Just to clarify, my friend told me that persimmon seed has to be kept continuously moist from the moment they are removed from the fruit (not just from the time you plant them).   I haven't tried growing persimmon from seed so I can't verify this.

            Allen

            thank you i have them moist
            I've been told that persimmon seeds have to be kept constantly wet
            for them to germinate.

            Allen

            >i would love advice... i am having trouble trying to grow new wild
            >persimmons from the pits.. this tiny fruit is so sweet so i am
            >trying to grow more perhaps the best way to propagate is via branchs

          • Gaardenier
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 17 5:02 PM

              “I've been told that persimmon seeds have to be kept constantly wet

              >for them to germinate.”

              Who invented this city rumours ?

              Vriendelijke groeten,

              Leo Aerts   Flanders - belgium

            • Allmende Verden
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 18 2:16 AM
                Hey people, in zone 7b I´m interested in walnuts, but not in
                persimmons, so please use appropriate subjects in Emails. Thanks, Klaus

                Zitat von Gaardenier <gaardenier@...>:

                > "I've been told that persimmon seeds have to be kept constantly wet
                >> for them to germinate."
                >
                > Who invented this city rumours ?
                >
                > Vriendelijke groeten,
                >
                > Leo Aerts Flanders - belgium

                Artilleriestr. 6
                D-27283 Verden
                Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470
                Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
                http://www.allmende.de.vu
              • Gail Lloyd
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 18 6:56 AM
                  Persimmon seeds SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any hard seed needs some kind of help to break the seed coat & to simulate what they get in nature ... different seeds need different kinds of help, such as scratching the seed (called scarification; in nature, birds do this by eating the seed, going thru their digestion system, then pooping the seed out), soaking in water for a certain period of time (seeds normally sprout in spring, when there is abundant rain), going thru a period of cold to simulate winter (called stratification - see below for more info), etc.

                  Water is essential to germination of almost every seed because it penetrates the seed coat of seeds & sets the sprouting process in motion.  Before I plant any veggie seeds or grow sprouts, I always soak seeds for at least 20 minutes.

                  In cases where the seeds need the cold of winter to germinate (as with persimmons), place the seeds in a small container with moist (not wet) sand, peat or vermiculite, and leave in refrigerator for 4-6 weeks. This procedure is known as stratificationPersimmons are hard to germinate this way, and even after germinating, will probably not produce true to the parent plant.

                  "Propagation of trees is primarily by seed, although root cuttings may be used. Improved varieties are obtained through grafting since persimmons do not reproduce “true” from seeds. Seed must be kept for 60-90 days at 50̊F under moist conditions to obtain good germination, or seed may be planted in the fall and permitted to stratify naturally in the ground over winter. The seed bed should be mulched."
                  http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-108.pdf

                  More info on germinating seeds from different kinds of trees can be found at:  http://forestry.about.com/od/treeplanting/qt/tree_seed.htm

                  Gail, M.G., horticulturist

                  “I've been told that persimmon seeds have to be kept constantly wet

                  >for them to germinate.”

                  Who invented this city rumours ?

                  Vriendelijke groeten,

                  Leo Aerts   Flanders - belgium

                • Organic Life

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 19 11:52 AM

                      I agree of course, that seeds, to germinate, SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any,

                      aso.

                      Thus except for germination, the seeds must be kept dry.

                      Quote:

                      Ø    Persimmon seeds SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any

                      As far as I understand this phrase, no germination is involved. At the other hand, there are no seeds who need to be dried out for germination, so what is the question basically?

                      Vriendelijke groeten,

                      Leo Aerts

                      Flanders – belgium

                    • chex.rice
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 21 2:14 PM
                        American Persimmon seeds need to be cold stratified in the
                        refrigerator over the winter in damp sand or sphagnum moss.

                        Chris Rice
                        USDA Hardiness Zone 5a
                        Illinois

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 22 6:11 AM
                          That is probably right
                          althoug
                          I have two emerging seedlings coming these last  days,
                          without any cold stratifying...

                          Geir Flatabø

                          2010/4/21 chex.rice <chex.rice@...>
                          American Persimmon seeds need to be cold stratified in the
                          refrigerator over the winter in damp sand or sphagnum moss.

                          Chris Rice
                          USDA Hardiness Zone 5a
                          Illinois

                          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Gaardenier" <gaardenier@...> wrote:

                          > I agree of course, that seeds, to germinate, SHOULD be kept constantly moist
                          > (but not wet) ... any,
                          > aso.
                          > Thus except for germination, the seeds must be kept dry.
                          >
                          > Quote:
                          > *    Persimmon seeds SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any
                          >
                          > As far as I understand this phrase, no germination is involved. At the other
                          > hand, there are no seeds who need to be dried out for germination, so what
                          > is the question basically?
                          >
                          > Vriendelijke groeten,
                          >
                          > Leo Aerts
                          > Flanders - belgium

                          <*> Your email settings:
                             Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                             (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                             pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
                             pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Francis S
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 25 2:10 AM
                            Im not sure if anyone alse wrote this, y
                            you mentioned it being dry so maybe this could help too.

                            I have found a terarium to work for starting seeds,
                            any aqarium sealed I cut A piece of cardboard, ,
                            and line it with a platic garbage bag
                            to hold in the humidity while they are in pots.
                            (Im not sure you you need to,
                            but I even add water out side the pots)

                            but I even use a plasic Grocery bag
                            puffed out not wrapped up for building up humidity.

                            I have even went as far as fermenting wine inside the aquarium.
                            (In a glass gallon size jar)

                            Uncovering it at night IS what I do,
                            I also use soil thats not to pasty,
                            (it acts different in pots)
                            Some decaying leaf matter from a forest floor may be useful.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 25 6:30 PM
                              Thank you for the furthering of this thread...I like your website idea too...I wish you the most splendid luck. I like Wix.com for a site or zen cart if you ever wish to sell things.
                              My little sprouts still have not made it to the surface...boo...however I do like your idea.