Re: [pfaf] Black walnut companion planting.

  • Organic Life
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 12, 2010
      some times wild persimmon will grow nicely with it

      On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:49 AM, charfair fairchar <FertilityFair@...> wrote:

      Is there anything I can plant with black walnuts?

      --
      Charlotte Fairchild
      Fear Thou Not, 501(c)3

    • mIEKAL aND

        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 13, 2010

          hey.. here a list of plants that show tolerance with juglone:
          maples,hollyhock, onion and allies, wild ginger, paw paw, pecan,hickory, redbud, springbeauty, hazel, hawthorn, saffron, quince, american persimmon, purple coneflower, trout lily, honey locust, jerusalem artichoke, daylily, rose of sharon, virginia waterleaf, spicebush, bee balm, white mulberry, sweet cicely, sensitive fern, creeping phlox, mayapple, giant solomons'seal, christmas fern, some edible cherries, oaks, black locust, wild roses, black raspberyy, elderberry, stone crop, chickweed, dandelion, virginia spide worth, white clover, white trillium, slippery elm, most viburnums, canada violet, wild grapes.

          this is from a book that I've got (quite famous in forest gardening!) and if anybody is interested just ask me privately by mail! I don't know if I can make pubblicity here...!

          bye!!!!

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 13, 2010

            Please tell me the title & author of this valued resource.

            THANK YOU.

            Michael Kenna
            michaelkenna@...

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 13, 2010
                      Dear Friend:
                          I've seen persimmons as big as oranges and grapefruit, they did have a bitter after taste, but I did enjoy eating it.
                          As some one who remembered his childhood and who's mother wanted enough back walnut meat to make a tasty cake. They also make a great dye as I had the black stain on my hands for weeks before it finally wore off.
                          Most people who do have trouble with them as they only produce one real good tap root, but I found a way around that as a result none of my trees no matter what kind never blow over or brake off and the ground either, but most people either don't care or they simply don't want any advice.
              Shalom, Shalom, Yosef of Ok.
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 13, 2010
                        Dear Miekal:
                            I get along far better with plants than I do people, I've never been cussed out by any plant.
                            I grew up on a working farm in Texas, so I know about growing plants.
                            If want to insure more than one tap root you might try this as I used to do this very trick for friends who's trees were sapped off in a real hard breeze.
                            Most people start their young trees in a paste milk box with dirt, you have to punch holes in the bottom for drainage.
                            I packed the seedling in the soil well, but instead of just making holes in the bottom, I cut the bottom of the paste box off completely, it's support was galvanized wire. Every time a root hit the wire it would die back, it caused a hundred tap roots to form instead of just one. Those don't blow over nor do the snap off like the other did.
                            You might give that a try if you want to see a really strong tree.
                            Do be well.
                Shalom, Shalom, Yosef of Ok.

              • brave.life.earth@gmail.com
                  some times wild persimmon will grow nicely with it

                  On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 9:49 AM, charfair fairchar <Fertili
                • mijwiz
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 15, 2010
                    --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "brave.life.earth@..." <Brave.life.earth@...> wrote:

                    > i would love advice... i am having trouble trying to grow new wild persimmons from the pits.. this tiny fruit is so sweet so i am trying to grow more perhaps the best way to propagate is via branchs

                    What species is called "wild persimmon" where you are? Here in the USA, Diospyros virginiana grows wild. The seeds need to be cold-stratified to sprout. The easiest way to do this is to plant them outside in the fall and let them overwinter. They'll sprout in spring.

                    However, you might not want to do this, since half the seedlings will be male, and produce no fruit. You might instead want to buy grafted trees, like from here:
                    http://www.nolinnursery.com/Persimon.htm

                    Or, if you've found a particularly good wild tree, you could try grafting a branch of it onto a seedling.
                  • Allen Hancock
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 15, 2010
                      Re: [pfaf] Black walnut companion planting.
                      I've been told that persimmon seeds have to be kept constantly wet for them to germinate.

                      Allen

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 15, 2010
                        thank you i have them moist

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 16, 2010
                          Re: [pfaf] Black walnut companion planting.
                          Just to clarify, my friend told me that persimmon seed has to be kept continuously moist from the moment they are removed from the fruit (not just from the time you plant them).   I haven't tried growing persimmon from seed so I can't verify this.

                          Allen

                          thank you i have them moist
                          I've been told that persimmon seeds have to be kept constantly wet
                          for them to germinate.

                          Allen

                          >i would love advice... i am having trouble trying to grow new wild
                          >persimmons from the pits.. this tiny fruit is so sweet so i am
                          >trying to grow more perhaps the best way to propagate is via branchs

                        • Gaardenier
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 17, 2010

                            “I've been told that persimmon seeds have to be kept constantly wet

                            >for them to germinate.”

                            Who invented this city rumours ?

                            Vriendelijke groeten,

                            Leo Aerts   Flanders - belgium

                          • Allmende Verden
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 18, 2010
                              Hey people, in zone 7b I´m interested in walnuts, but not in
                              persimmons, so please use appropriate subjects in Emails. Thanks, Klaus

                              Zitat von Gaardenier <gaardenier@...>:

                              > "I've been told that persimmon seeds have to be kept constantly wet
                              >> for them to germinate."
                              >
                              > Who invented this city rumours ?
                              >
                              > Vriendelijke groeten,
                              >
                              > Leo Aerts Flanders - belgium

                              Artilleriestr. 6
                              D-27283 Verden
                              Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470
                              Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
                              http://www.allmende.de.vu
                            • Gail Lloyd
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 18, 2010
                                Persimmon seeds SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any hard seed needs some kind of help to break the seed coat & to simulate what they get in nature ... different seeds need different kinds of help, such as scratching the seed (called scarification; in nature, birds do this by eating the seed, going thru their digestion system, then pooping the seed out), soaking in water for a certain period of time (seeds normally sprout in spring, when there is abundant rain), going thru a period of cold to simulate winter (called stratification - see below for more info), etc.

                                Water is essential to germination of almost every seed because it penetrates the seed coat of seeds & sets the sprouting process in motion.  Before I plant any veggie seeds or grow sprouts, I always soak seeds for at least 20 minutes.

                                In cases where the seeds need the cold of winter to germinate (as with persimmons), place the seeds in a small container with moist (not wet) sand, peat or vermiculite, and leave in refrigerator for 4-6 weeks. This procedure is known as stratificationPersimmons are hard to germinate this way, and even after germinating, will probably not produce true to the parent plant.

                                "Propagation of trees is primarily by seed, although root cuttings may be used. Improved varieties are obtained through grafting since persimmons do not reproduce “true” from seeds. Seed must be kept for 60-90 days at 50̊F under moist conditions to obtain good germination, or seed may be planted in the fall and permitted to stratify naturally in the ground over winter. The seed bed should be mulched."
                                http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/HO-108.pdf

                                More info on germinating seeds from different kinds of trees can be found at:  http://forestry.about.com/od/treeplanting/qt/tree_seed.htm

                                Gail, M.G., horticulturist

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 19, 2010

                                    I agree of course, that seeds, to germinate, SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any,

                                    aso.

                                    Thus except for germination, the seeds must be kept dry.

                                    Quote:

                                    Ø    Persimmon seeds SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any

                                    As far as I understand this phrase, no germination is involved. At the other hand, there are no seeds who need to be dried out for germination, so what is the question basically?

                                    Vriendelijke groeten,

                                    Leo Aerts

                                    Flanders – belgium

                                  • chex.rice
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 21, 2010
                                      American Persimmon seeds need to be cold stratified in the
                                      refrigerator over the winter in damp sand or sphagnum moss.

                                      Chris Rice
                                      USDA Hardiness Zone 5a
                                      Illinois

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 22, 2010
                                        That is probably right
                                        althoug
                                        I have two emerging seedlings coming these last  days,
                                        without any cold stratifying...

                                        Geir Flatabø

                                        2010/4/21 chex.rice <chex.rice@...>
                                        American Persimmon seeds need to be cold stratified in the
                                        refrigerator over the winter in damp sand or sphagnum moss.

                                        Chris Rice
                                        USDA Hardiness Zone 5a
                                        Illinois

                                        --- In pfaf@yahoogroups.com, "Gaardenier" <gaardenier@...> wrote:

                                        > I agree of course, that seeds, to germinate, SHOULD be kept constantly moist
                                        > (but not wet) ... any,
                                        > aso.
                                        > Thus except for germination, the seeds must be kept dry.
                                        >
                                        > Quote:
                                        > *    Persimmon seeds SHOULD be kept constantly moist (but not wet) ... any
                                        >
                                        > As far as I understand this phrase, no germination is involved. At the other
                                        > hand, there are no seeds who need to be dried out for germination, so what
                                        > is the question basically?
                                        >
                                        > Vriendelijke groeten,
                                        >
                                        > Leo Aerts
                                        > Flanders - belgium

                                        <*> Your email settings:
                                           Individual Email | Traditional

                                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                                        <*> To change settings via email:
                                           pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                           pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                      • Francis S
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 25, 2010
                                          Im not sure if anyone alse wrote this, y
                                          you mentioned it being dry so maybe this could help too.

                                          I have found a terarium to work for starting seeds,
                                          any aqarium sealed I cut A piece of cardboard, ,
                                          and line it with a platic garbage bag
                                          to hold in the humidity while they are in pots.
                                          (Im not sure you you need to,
                                          but I even add water out side the pots)

                                          but I even use a plasic Grocery bag
                                          puffed out not wrapped up for building up humidity.

                                          I have even went as far as fermenting wine inside the aquarium.
                                          (In a glass gallon size jar)

                                          Uncovering it at night IS what I do,
                                          I also use soil thats not to pasty,
                                          (it acts different in pots)
                                          Some decaying leaf matter from a forest floor may be useful.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 25, 2010
                                            Thank you for the furthering of this thread...I like your website idea too...I wish you the most splendid luck. I like Wix.com for a site or zen cart if you ever wish to sell things.
                                            My little sprouts still have not made it to the surface...boo...however I do like your idea.