Re: [pfaf] Plant idenfication...

  • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2010
      square stems, furry leaves ?

      All the best,
      Matthew

      Matthew Sleigh
      P-2, North Poblacion
      Don Carlos, Bukidnon
      8712
      Philippines

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: veworley2003@...
      To: pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: 4/12/10 4:57 AM
      Subject: [pfaf] Plant idenfication...

      Hello--I am new to the group, but have been a fan of the website. I live in the highlands of Panama (about 1500 meters high in a cloud forest ecology), grow organic coffee, and medicinal herbs from which I make tinctures and salves.

      I recently bought a plant at a local nursery, where the woman told me it was myrrh. When crushed, the leaf gives off the scent of myrrh, though lightly. The leaf has very little flavor. It looks nothing like the images of myrrh I have found on the web. It is low growing, with a green and white variegated leaf (green center, white serrated border) about 1.5 inches at the widest part across. Leaf and stem are slightly furry.

      Any ideas what this might be? It is lovely and growing well.

      Thanks,

      Elizabeth in Panama

      Your email settings:
      Individual Email | Traditional

      To change settings online go to:
      (Yahoo! ID required)

      To change settings via email:
      pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
      pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Elizabeth Worley
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2010
        No, round furry stems, furry leaves that are fanned at the bottom (stem attaches at bottom, not center), veined, kind of like the shape of the 'club' card in a deck of playing cards, but with serrated edges that are white. Aromatic and DOES smell like myrrh...but leaves have little taste, mildly greenish/bitter...

        It's not easy being green!!

        Thanks for writing.

        Elizabeth