Plant idenfication...

  • veworley2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2010
      Hello--I am new to the group, but have been a fan of the website. I live in the highlands of Panama (about 1500 meters high in a cloud forest ecology), grow organic coffee, and medicinal herbs from which I make tinctures and salves.

      I recently bought a plant at a local nursery, where the woman told me it was myrrh. When crushed, the leaf gives off the scent of myrrh, though lightly. The leaf has very little flavor. It looks nothing like the images of myrrh I have found on the web. It is low growing, with a green and white variegated leaf (green center, white serrated border) about 1.5 inches at the widest part across. Leaf and stem are slightly furry.

      Any ideas what this might be? It is lovely and growing well.

      Thanks,

      Elizabeth in Panama
    • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2010
        square stems, furry leaves ?

        All the best,
        Matthew

        Matthew Sleigh
        P-2, North Poblacion
        Don Carlos, Bukidnon
        8712
        Philippines

        Hello--I am new to the group, but have been a fan of the website. I live in the highlands of Panama (about 1500 meters high in a cloud forest ecology), grow organic coffee, and medicinal herbs from which I make tinctures and salves.

        I recently bought a plant at a local nursery, where the woman told me it was myrrh. When crushed, the leaf gives off the scent of myrrh, though lightly. The leaf has very little flavor. It looks nothing like the images of myrrh I have found on the web. It is low growing, with a green and white variegated leaf (green center, white serrated border) about 1.5 inches at the widest part across. Leaf and stem are slightly furry.

        Any ideas what this might be? It is lovely and growing well.

        Thanks,

        Elizabeth in Panama

        Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        To change settings via email:
        pfaf-digest@yahoogroups.com
        pfaf-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Elizabeth Worley
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12, 2010
          No, round furry stems, furry leaves that are fanned at the bottom (stem attaches at bottom, not center), veined, kind of like the shape of the 'club' card in a deck of playing cards, but with serrated edges that are white. Aromatic and DOES smell like myrrh...but leaves have little taste, mildly greenish/bitter...

          It's not easy being green!!

          Thanks for writing.

          Elizabeth