Re: [pfaf] Aloe vera edibility

  • Jacques Prestreau
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
      Hello !

      Yes, /Aloe vera/ buds are edible. But only boiled for at least 10 to 15
      minutes. Never raw. If eaten raw inadvertently in "reasonnable" quantity
      (four, five...) it may cause digestive side effects not very toxic but
      very... hum... embarrassing. An upper quantity will be really toxic.

      The same with the raw leaves. Young leaves can be cooked 15 minutes to
      be eaten as a nice vegetable accompaniement. Big leaves can be eaten
      cooked for half an hour, in preference cut to pieces before cooked.

      And the juice must be very, very purified to be drunk. Home made /Aloe/
      juices are hardly unadviced. Of course juices bought in dietetic shops
      are perfectly purified.

      Kind regards,
      Jacques (in France)

      *Message Original*
      De : Gail Lloyd <gardenchick1949@...>
      A : pfaf@yahoogroups.com
      Date de l'envoi : 03/04/2010 10:45:39 PM +0200
      Sujet du mail : [pfaf] Re: aloe vera

      > You shouldn't eat aloe vera gel on a continual basis, but once in a
      > while is good for you. I imagine the buds are the same.
      > Gail

    • Francis S
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 25, 2010
        Excuse my spelling I know It's just begining to be developed,
        and also Im used to the old site, but maybe
        If some of the people On this forum voice their opinions
        They can influence the layout of the new site.

        I like this old layout
        http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html

        http://site158.mysite4now.com/newpfaf/user/plantsearch.aspx

        It Has that full look to it,
        I like how they explain near the bottom
        If you use Quotations on the word Sheltered/red
        your word may be found .

        (The new web site may not have that problem,
        but I like how the old web site is well thought out.)

        I know this web site is in it's new stages,
        So I am Just giving my opinion,
        of what I liked of the old site.

        Oh I also like how some of the things drew your eye to it.
        I hope others Will voice their opinions if they find something they dilike or dislike when the sites finally complete.

        I mention like also, because others will have overlooked some of the changes, improvements etc.

        One thing That would of been nice with the old site,
        if it had more of a wikipedia layout.

        I mean In a way as If your reading about how
        Beans are a nitrogen fixer for corn.
        corn (green manure) would be highlighted as a link in the artical you can click.

      • BrendasOrganics@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , May 18, 2010
          I eat the buds, I eat the leaves...I've never had a problem, embarrassing or otherwise.
          Brenda

          De : Gail Lloyd <gardenchick1949@ yahoo.com>
          A : pfaf@yahoogroups. com
          Date de l'envoi : 03/04/2010 10:45:39 PM +0200