Preview of new website

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
      Plants For A Future are about to launch a new website you can see an early preview at http://site158.mysite4now.com/newpfaf/user/default.aspx
    • Joseph A. Cleary
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2010
                Dear Rich:
                    Plants for Plants sake is a great thing, I get along better with plants than I do people as a plant has never cussed me out or screamed at me.
                    I noticed that on your wed page your Aloe Vera had flowers, mine have babies but never have I seen flowers.
                    I also have century plants and they too have had babies but I've seen their flowers.
                    Pesach Sameach.
        Shalom, Shalom, Yosef of Ok.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2010
          Dear all,

          ... once upon a time for some unknown reason I did intuitively eat
          flowering buds of Aloe Vera and they tasted very good. Does anyone know
          about their edibility ? At least inner parts of leaves (without yellow
          stuff in the coat) and seeds are edible, but what about buds? Are there
          any known hazards ?

          best wishes,

          Ossi

          > Dear Rich:
          > Plants for Plants sake is a great thing, I get along better
          > with plants than I do people as a plant has never cussed me
          > out or screamed at me.
          > I noticed that on your wed page your Aloe Vera had flowers,
          > mine have babies but never have I seen flowers.
          > I also have century plants and they too have had babies but
          > I've seen their flowers.
          > Pesach Sameach.
          > Shalom, Shalom, Yosef of Ok.

        • Gail Lloyd
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
            You shouldn't eat aloe vera gel on a continual basis, but once in a while is good for you.  I imagine the buds are the same.
            Gail

            ... once upon a time for some unknown reason I did intuitively eat
            flowering buds of Aloe Vera and they tasted very good. Does anyone know
            about their edibility ? At least inner parts of leaves (without yellow
            stuff in the coat) and seeds are edible, but what about buds? Are there
            any known hazards ?

            best wishes,

            Ossi

            > Dear Rich:
            > Plants for Plants sake is a great thing, I get along better
            > with plants than I do people as a plant has never cussed me
            > out or screamed at me.
            > I noticed that on your wed page your Aloe Vera had flowers,
            > mine have babies but never have I seen flowers.
            > I also have century plants and they too have had babies but
            > I've seen their flowers.
            > Pesach Sameach.
            > Shalom, Shalom, Yosef of Ok.

          • Jacques Prestreau
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2010
              Hello !

              Yes, /Aloe vera/ buds are edible. But only boiled for at least 10 to 15
              minutes. Never raw. If eaten raw inadvertently in "reasonnable" quantity
              (four, five...) it may cause digestive side effects not very toxic but
              very... hum... embarrassing. An upper quantity will be really toxic.

              The same with the raw leaves. Young leaves can be cooked 15 minutes to
              be eaten as a nice vegetable accompaniement. Big leaves can be eaten
              cooked for half an hour, in preference cut to pieces before cooked.

              And the juice must be very, very purified to be drunk. Home made /Aloe/
              juices are hardly unadviced. Of course juices bought in dietetic shops
              are perfectly purified.

              Kind regards,
              Jacques (in France)

              *Message Original*
              De : Gail Lloyd <gardenchick1949@...>
              A : pfaf@yahoogroups.com
              Date de l'envoi : 03/04/2010 10:45:39 PM +0200
              Sujet du mail : [pfaf] Re: aloe vera

              > You shouldn't eat aloe vera gel on a continual basis, but once in a
              > while is good for you. I imagine the buds are the same.
              > Gail

            • Francis S
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 25, 2010
                Excuse my spelling I know It's just begining to be developed,
                and also Im used to the old site, but maybe
                If some of the people On this forum voice their opinions
                They can influence the layout of the new site.

                I like this old layout
                http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html

                http://site158.mysite4now.com/newpfaf/user/plantsearch.aspx

                It Has that full look to it,
                I like how they explain near the bottom
                If you use Quotations on the word Sheltered/red
                your word may be found .

                (The new web site may not have that problem,
                but I like how the old web site is well thought out.)

                I know this web site is in it's new stages,
                So I am Just giving my opinion,
                of what I liked of the old site.

                Oh I also like how some of the things drew your eye to it.
                I hope others Will voice their opinions if they find something they dilike or dislike when the sites finally complete.

                I mention like also, because others will have overlooked some of the changes, improvements etc.

                One thing That would of been nice with the old site,
                if it had more of a wikipedia layout.

                I mean In a way as If your reading about how
                Beans are a nitrogen fixer for corn.
                corn (green manure) would be highlighted as a link in the artical you can click.

              • BrendasOrganics@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , May 18 4:20 AM
                  I eat the buds, I eat the leaves...I've never had a problem, embarrassing or otherwise.
                  Brenda

                  De : Gail Lloyd <gardenchick1949@ yahoo.com>
                  A : pfaf@yahoogroups. com
                  Date de l'envoi : 03/04/2010 10:45:39 PM +0200