Re: [pfaf] HDRA database appeal- thoughts...

  • Richard Morris
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2004
      Graham Burnett wrote:
      > Hi all, esp any HDRA policy makers who might be looking in- I got a mailshot
      > from HDRA today asking for donations to help fund their database project-
      > two things occured to me- Plants For A Future already have an extensive
      > database online of edible and useful plants, also the Seeds of Kokopelli
      > book lists literally thousands of varieties of hundreds of vegetables, which
      > presumably are also on a database- would it not make sense for HDRA to join
      > forces with these existing projects in order to save re-inventing the wheel?

      Sounds very interesting, it would be nice to know a bit more about this.
      I did a quick search on their website and nothing turned up :-(.

      Most of the plant databases online seem to have different focuses
      with different target audiences so I don't think that
      it would be a case of reinventing the wheel. In particular
      the pfaf datatabase is week on traditional crops and does not
      really attempt to cover the many varities available.
      I guess there could be a great oportunity for colaboration
      on this.

      > Also i can't help but feel that both Kokopelli & PFAF worked on budgets that
      > are considerably less than the 100 grand HDRA are prediucting it will
      > cost...

      If you cost up the time put in I'd say 100 grand is quite
      realistic. I'd suspect that about 10 man years of time
      have been put into the database from Ken, myself and
      several others. At about £20K/year that puts the production
      cost of the database at about 200 grand!

      I spy an ideal time to do a bit of fundraising.
      You can help the Plants For A Future project by joining
      "Friends of Plants For A Future" our official membership scheme
      http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/pfaf/friends.html
      or by making a donation online through our paypal system
      https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=webmaster%40pfaf.org&item_name=Donation

      All the best

      Rich

      --