Cardboard/Mulch on a Slope

  • Denise For Peace
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2010
      I like that list of Scottish plants for slope stabilization.  If you could clear just a few areas, completely, and plant some of those, you could cut holes in the cardboard and drop it over the seedlings.  Meanwhile, you could cut some willow or other branches (water sprouts from spring prunings of fruit trees would probably be good) and "nail" the cardboard to the slope with sticks of this wood.  If you cut them straight across on one end and at a slant on the other, you could use a wooden or rubber mallet to pound them in.  It would be time consuming, but if you pounded in a bunch of them, then threw several inches of leaves on top of the cardboard the sticks would also keep the leaves from sliding down the slope.  I guess it depends on how big the area is, how steep and what you have available.  Note:  if you use willow and there's enough moisture in the soil, some of the cuttings may turn into willow trees.  Even if there's only moisture this time of year, they might get some roots out before they die off.  That would also help stabilize the slope and get some microbial activity started in the soil.

      **Peace, Denise**

      Denise-Christine

      The Suburban Ecovillage Project

      www.suburbanecovillage.org