re: Smoking

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 22, 2010
      Hi Joseph,

      I've never experienced poison ivy-like symptoms from handling my own
      home-grown tobacco..

      Perhaps you are referring to the conditions experienced by overworked,
      underpaid factory workers in mass produvction?

      Would you care to broaden our horizons on this subject?
      Perhaps you could also hazard a guess as to why I have not encountered this?

      I can't see how it would be worse than smoking store-bought tobacco,
      since everyone knows that mass production carries an inherent loss of
      quality control. After all, "chemicals which are found in cigarettes
      are very harmful to any one or any thing," right?

      Sorry, what am i looking up again? Nicotiana tabacum is toxic? Really?
      It's a pesticide, Joseph. Tiny amounts of pure nicotine are
      potentially deadly.
      So I'll take your word for it.
      I don't need to get contact dermatitis to know tobacco can be harmful.
      (And for that matter, probably neither does Kursti)

      Peace,

      Steve.
    • Joseph A. Cleary
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 22, 2010
                Dear Steve:
                    The people I knew that this happened to were folks much like your self they also raised their own as they had barns that they hung the stuff in to dry or cure. It wasn't myself that came down the ailment, it was another who might be seen as some one like your self, a young woman who's father owned the place and she'd seen the symptoms before.
                    I had stopped to purchase some tobacco a bale for a friend, I was a Semi truck driver I drove out of Canada. I made deliveries all over the place. I purchased the tobacco for a veterinarian with a pet Moose.
                    I took it for granted that by your tone you see me as a dumb hick who doesn't know much about the subject.
                    Actually I have a BA in Biochemistry, I built bio weapons in and for a place known as Viet Nam.
                    I wonder do talk down to the children around you too, as I don't. But then I never did.
                    So you could say that I do know a few things about the chemical make up of the plant and effects on people. Yes I know that you can say what you like about the stuff before processing and after processing, you can say what you like about the ill effects on this that and the other thing.
                    How ever till you've sat in the same room with some one who's smoked what you're calling good stuff and seen the yellow stains on a young woman's hands as she's tried to scrub it off tearing the layers of skin with her attempts. All she needed was a little lemon juice and cotton to rub on the skin it'll remove it. It'll remove it from everything except for her lungs.
                    If you listen, really listen to some one with Lung cancer. Hearing the gasping for breath hearing a raspy crackle to the voice.
                    Oh I know you're not interested in the long time effects of your product on the people, why should you be any more than the large cooperation's were, before they were sued millions for the deaths that they caused.
                    I  know you can tell the children anything you want and if they're dumber than what you thought I was then they'll more than likely believe you.
                    I've personal question of you do your own children smoke, if the answer is yes why? If the don't then why?
                    Do have a meaningful Pesach.
                    To every one who reads this email out there do be well.
                    As to what I know about Israeli tobacco I was once down wind of a fellow who had rolled his own cigar which was lit, it smelled worse than burning cat hair, no joke, no lie.
        Shalom, Shalom, Yosef of Ok.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 23, 2010
          Hey, Joseph, nice rant!

          There's a lot (and I mean a LOT) down in the lower half of your email
          which I may not address, since you'd just be getting a raw emotional
          response, and, for one, Rich (our moderator) would probably not post
          the message, effectively discarding my response and wasing my time.

          You say the lady you got your BALE of tobacco from could be seen to be
          like me. How so?
          In fact, in your first two sentences, you say the people who
          experienced these poison ivy-like effects from tobacco were 'like me.'
          I don't see it, really. There must be something different, wouldn't
          you say? Maybe, as I said before, it's the scale of production.

          I didn't tell Kursti to go start a tobacco factory. I said growing
          tobacco at home could be rewarding. Scale, Joseph. I was thinking
          more along the lines of several PLANTS, not thousands of plants with a
          barn to store it in and having bales of it around.

          I can assure you I don't have bales of tobacco lying around.
          Nobody who has bales of ANY commodity crop lying around is growing for
          personal use; so that qualifies your acquaintance as someone in
          tobacco production, Joseph.

          This takes us back to my initial assessment of your argument.
          You are taking my comment to Kursti (that growing her own tobacco
          could be "rewarding") and applying it to a broad scale agricultural
          production model - something which I would never recommend, since
          broadscale annual cropping destroys topsoils and causes massive
          erosion.
          Hence my comment about mass production carrying an inherent loss of
          quality control.
          Everything you used in your argument implies large scale production,
          and large scale production goes against everything I stand for.

          Perhaps a good distillation of your example is the lesson that farm
          employers generally don't provide their employees with even basic
          safety gear - a simple pair of gloves, in this case.

          I'd just like to look at a portion of what you said..
          -----------------------
          "I had stopped to purchase some tobacco a bale for a friend, I was a
          Semi truck driver I drove out of Canada. I made deliveries all over
          the place. I purchased the tobacco for a veterinarian with a pet
          Moose.
          I took it for granted that by your tone you see me as a dumb hick who
          doesn't know much about the subject.
          Actually I have a BA in Biochemistry, I built bio weapons in and for a
          place known as Viet Nam."
          -----------------------
          I love the part about the moose.

          "I took it for granted.." hmm - red flag there, for me, Joseph..
          shouldn't take things for granted.
          So the basis of what offended you actually stems from an assumption you made?

          Maybe you've had some people treat you like a dumb hick.. that would
          explain why you interpreted my response that way. It's true that
          there's a lot of stereotyping on people from places like Oklahoma,
          Arkansas, Kansas, Iowa, etc, where there are fewer people per square
          mile. It's not nice, is it?
          As it happens, I actually like many "hicks" (as long as you mean
          people of the land, farmers, countryfolk, etc). What I don't like
          (and have no respect for) is folks who take things I say and use them
          to carry on a rant about issues that largely have nothing to do with
          the question at hand.

          Your BA in biochemistry isn't going to get you much respect,
          especially if you used it to build bioweapons!!! And you're lecturing
          me?

          This is where I began to sense a real disconnect between you and the
          matter at hand. From here on, I got the distinct feeling you had
          begun to access a portion of your memory that had been wanting to say
          these things for a long time, and this seemed like as good a time as
          any to say them.

          I say, hey, write a blog, Joseph, fire away! If you want to write
          stuff like this:

[...]

          Actually, I'm not worried about whether Rich will print my message any
          more, because he let you post that..

          You're not talking to me here, anymore Joseph.
          "..what I'm calling good stuff"?
          "my product"?
          "you can tell the children anything you want"?

          Dude, what children?
          What was it about anything I said which made you think I was
          advocating smoking to children?

          As for you question about whether my kids smoke.. My eldest is 3, so
          I'll leave that with you.
          You clearly don't know me and you don't know my family.
          If you want to talk to me, that's fine but let's keep it between us,
          shall we, Joseph?

          You're speaking to someone you don't even know about a subject we both
          actually agree on, at least for the most part: we both know tobacco
          can be harmful.
          The person who started this thread is a smoker, or at least a former
          one, looking to substitute her store-bought cigarettes with an
          alternative.. So we may gather that SHE knows the hazards which face
          her, too! I just don't know who you think I was trying to deceive
          here, Joseph.
          And now, thanks to you, she knows she can get "poison ivy-like
          symptoms" from growing mountains of the stuff (but not from growing a
          personal stash, unless I have some kind of immunity).

          So, There's my bit.

          I wish you well,

          Peace

          Steve.
        • Gail Lloyd
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 24, 2010
            Come on, guys.  This is a plant group.  Don't take things personally.  It's easy to do when you read, as opposed to talking to someone face to face & seeing their facial expressions, etc.  We're not really interested in personal stuff on this site (at least I'm not).  I'm only interested in plants.  What you do with the info (whether you want to smoke it, etc.) should be up to the individuals who read the info.
            Gail

            ------------ --------- --
[...]

          • Ronan MacLoughlin
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 25, 2010
              I agree with Gail.

              Take this crap offline lads.

              We are only subscribed to this based on our interests of plants.

              If you feel like you have suffered an affront, email the offender directly. I dont want to hear it.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 25, 2010
                I grew some very interesting tobacco last year.

                Apparently an archeologist was investigating a south American pyramid, and found a quantity of tobacco seeds at a burial site. Somehow these were sprouted and grew, and the result is a round leafed tobacco that dates back (I think) to the Mayans.

                This 'Thousand Year Old Tobacco' from Salt Spring Seeds (in British Columbia, Canada) was a very nice tobacco to smoke.

                I found the nicotine to be quite strong, so I mixed the (green) dried tobacco with dried chocolate mint, and it was very good. I grew enough that it lasted about 5 months, and my smokers cough disappeared. My smoking reduced too, and I honestly didn't feel as 'addicted' to 'needing' a cigarette as much either. Also, non smokers were not nearly as repulsed by the smoke.

                I did notice, through weeding the plants and cultivating through the summer, that touching the plants left an unpleasant sticky/oily colorless residue on my skin and hands, so I just handled the plants with pruning shears when I harvested. Snip it, grab it with the shears, and pop it in a box, later spread on drying screens by shaking it out of the boxes. It takes a long time to cure well, laying flat, but it seems to have a better end result than hanging it for a fast dry. I did try both. The yellowed/browned leaves are nicer to smoke, too, though a lot of it dries green and is ok.

                I left the flower heads on it and collected the seed as they dried. They produced a LOT of seed, so even tho they are tiny, and a lot blew away, I still got a lot more seed than I planted. I have yet to learn if it's viable seed, but I don't see why not. It's an open pollinated plant.

                Does anybody have experience with growing and curing heritage varieties of tobacco? I'd like to know what else is available that is not a modern commercial or hybrid variety.

                Laury
              • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 25, 2010
                  Laury

                  It must be the Nicotiana deva, that make folks write long rambling posts, anyhow - I have succumbed. (Not to smoking, just to writing a long rambling post.)

                  Thanks for the message about the "1000 year old tobacco". In the Salt Spring Seeds catalogue it is named Nicotiana rustica, most heritage First Nation tobaccos are Nicotiana rustica varieties. Many other species of Nicotiana have been used for smoking, snuff, chewing, or enemas.

                  Nicotiana tabacum Perique is a strong, rare, First Nation heritage variety (that I'll be growing this year). Some of the other Nicotiana tabacum varieties are pretty old and have interesting characteristics of their own.

                  How a tobacco is grown and cured will have more effect on it's flavour and smokability than the variety chosen. Leaf size and texture varies not only between species, and varieties, but also depending on growing conditions, day length, temperature, soil.

                  Many Solanaceous plants mutate easily if the seeds are chemically or energetically treated, these mutations can be carried on to future generations. Sometimes mutations can "spontaneously" occur on a mature plant, producing a branch with an obviously different characteristic.

                  Most tobaccos, and quite a few other Solanaceae have sticky/oily colorless residues. Tomato and Datura plants both have a strong lingering odour when touched. Tomato plants like to be touched, it produces a growth hormone. Some people get contact dermatitis from touching Tomato plants (and Datura/Brugmansia plants). Using tobacco leaves as a compress will give most people a nasty rash pretty quickly.

                  Nicotiana glauca is a species that contains Anabasine instead of Nicotine. Only the seed capsules are sticky, the plant is smooth - not hairy. It is said to be the Maria-Juana that was smoked by Mexican Revolutionaries early last Century, and that the name was hijacked to prevent opposition to Cannabis control. Interestingly Cannabis sativa was one of the first bio-fuel plants, Henry Ford used hemp to not only construct cars but also fuel them, and Nicotiana glauca is currently being studied for bio-diesel.

                  There is quite a good selection of information about tobacco curing on google:
                  http://www.google.com.ph/search?q=tobacco+curing

                  All the best,
                  Matthew

                  Here is a list of Nicotiana, not complete (and I have removed dozens of Nicotiana sanderae varieties which really is considered an ornamental variety).

                  Nicotiana acuminata
                  Nicotiana acutiflora
                  Nicotiana africana prov Namibia
                  Nicotiana alata Sweet White
                  Nicotiana ameghinoi
                  Nicotiana amplexicaulis
                  Nicotiana angustifolia
                  Nicotiana antennaria
                  Nicotiana arentsii
                  Nicotiana attenuata
                  Nicotiana azambujae
                  Nicotiana benavidesii
                  Nicotiana benthamiana
                  Nicotiana bigelovii
                  Nicotiana bigelovii v quadrivalvis
                  Nicotiana bonariensis
                  Nicotiana burbidgeae
                  Nicotiana calyciflora
                  Nicotiana cavicola
                  Nicotiana clevelandii
                  Nicotiana colossea
                  Nicotiana cordifolia
                  Nicotiana corymbosa
                  Nicotiana crispa
                  Nicotiana cutleri
                  Nicotiana debneyi
                  Nicotiana excelsior
                  Nicotiana forgetiana
                  Nicotiana fragrans
                  Nicotiana glauca
                  Nicotiana glutinosa
                  Nicotiana goodspeedii
                  Nicotiana gossei
                  Nicotiana hesperis
                  Nicotiana heterantha
                  Nicotiana Hot Chocolate
                  Nicotiana hybrid dark rose turning pink
                  Nicotiana hybrids mixed
                  Nicotiana ingulba
                  Nicotiana kawakamii
                  Nicotiana knightiana
                  Nicotiana langsdorffii
                  Nicotiana langsdorffii Cream-splash varieg
                  Nicotiana langsdorffii variegated
                  Nicotiana leguiana
                  Nicotiana linearis
                  Nicotiana longibracteata
                  Nicotiana longiflora
                  Nicotiana maritima
                  Nicotiana megalosiphon
                  Nicotiana miersii
                  Nicotiana minima
                  Nicotiana multiflora
                  Nicotiana mutabilis
                  Nicotiana mutabilis Marshmallow
                  Nicotiana mutabilis x alata
                  Nicotiana nesophila
                  Nicotiana noctiflora
                  Nicotiana nudicaulis
                  Nicotiana obtusifolia
                  Nicotiana occidentalis
                  Nicotiana otophora
                  Nicotiana paa
                  Nicotiana palmeri
                  Nicotiana paniculata
                  Nicotiana pauciflora
                  Nicotiana pavonii
                  Nicotiana petiolaris
                  Nicotiana petunioides
                  Nicotiana plumbaginifolia
                  Nicotiana quadrivalvis
                  Nicotiana raimondii
                  Nicotiana repanda
                  Nicotiana rosulata
                  Nicotiana rotundifolia
                  Nicotiana rustica
                  Nicotiana rustica Guarijio Makuchi
                  Nicotiana rustica Hawkwind
                  Nicotiana rustica Hopi
                  Nicotiana rustica Isleta Pueblo
                  Nicotiana rustica Midewiwan Sacred Tobacco
                  Nicotiana rustica Mop Cap
                  Nicotiana rustica Mopan Maya
                  Nicotiana rustica Mt Pima
                  Nicotiana rustica Papante
                  Nicotiana rustica Punche Mexicano
                  Nicotiana rustica Rapa Nui Easter Island Tobacco
                  Nicotiana rustica San Juan Pueblo
                  Nicotiana rustica Santo Domingo Ceremonial
                  Nicotiana rustica Southern Tepehuan Makuchi
                  Nicotiana rustica Tarahumara El Cuervo
                  Nicotiana rustica Tutakano
                  Nicotiana rustica v kessu
                  Nicotiana rustica Yumbo
                  Nicotiana sanderae Bedder Crimson
                  Nicotiana sanderae Bedder White
                  Nicotiana sanderae f1 Avalon Appleblossom
                  Nicotiana setchellii
                  Nicotiana simulans
                  Nicotiana solanifolia
                  Nicotiana sp Mutabilis prov Brazil
                  Nicotiana sp unident aff wild N alata
                  Nicotiana spegazzinii
                  Nicotiana stenocarpa
                  Nicotiana stocktonii
                  Nicotiana suaveolens
                  Nicotiana sylvestris
                  Nicotiana sylvestris Only the Lonely
                  Nicotiana tabacum
                  Nicotiana tabacum Blanco
                  Nicotiana tabacum Brown Leaf Virginia
                  Nicotiana tabacum Burley
                  Nicotiana tabacum Burley HB40P pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Burley HB40P primed pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Burley KY17
                  Nicotiana tabacum Burley NC3 pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Burley NC3 primed pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Burley R630 pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Burley R630 primed pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Burley TN90
                  Nicotiana tabacum Burley TN97 pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Burley TN97 primed pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Delgold Virginia
                  Nicotiana tabacum Flue Cured NC100 pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Flue Cured NC100 primed pellet
                  Nicotiana tabacum Flue Cured NC71 pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Flue Cured NC71 primed pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Flue Cured NC72 pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Flue Cured NC72 primed pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Flue Cured PHV03 primed pellet
                  Nicotiana tabacum Flue Cured PVH03 pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Flue Cured PVH09 pellets
                  Nicotiana tabacum Flue Cured PVH09 primed pellet
                  Nicotiana tabacum Green Wood
                  Nicotiana tabacum Havana 503
                  Nicotiana tabacum Havana Cigar 142
                  Nicotiana tabacum Havana Cigar 307
                  Nicotiana tabacum Havana Cigar 38
                  Nicotiana tabacum Havana Cigar 501
                  Nicotiana tabacum Havana Cigar 503B
                  Nicotiana tabacum Havana Cigar 608
                  Nicotiana tabacum Havana Cigar 615
                  Nicotiana tabacum Little Crittenden
                  Nicotiana tabacum Little Wood
                  Nicotiana tabacum Lizard Tail Orinoco Virginia
                  Nicotiana tabacum Lizard Tail Orinoco x Turtle Foo
                  Nicotiana tabacum Madole Improved
                  Nicotiana tabacum Madole Narrow Leaf
                  Nicotiana tabacum Madole Tom Ross
                  Nicotiana tabacum Montcalme Brun
                  Nicotiana tabacum Montcalme Yellow
                  Nicotiana tabacum Muscatelle
                  Nicotiana tabacum One Sucker ky165
                  Nicotiana tabacum Perique
                  Nicotiana tabacum Pipeleaf Dark
                  Nicotiana tabacum Shirazi Iranian organic
                  Nicotiana tabacum Shirey Virginia
                  Nicotiana tabacum Small Stalk Black Mammoth
                  Nicotiana tabacum Tabaco Blanco
                  Nicotiana tabacum Tabaco Rosa
                  Nicotiana tabacum Turkish
                  Nicotiana tabacum V A 309 Virginia
                  Nicotiana tabacum Variegata
                  Nicotiana tabacum Virginia
                  Nicotiana texana
                  Nicotiana thyrsiflora
                  Nicotiana Tobacco collection 7 varieties and spp
                  Nicotiana tomentosa
                  Nicotiana tomentosiformis
                  Nicotiana trigonophylla
                  Nicotiana truncata