Willow planting in rows and monoculture

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2010
      Hi Frank,

      I don't have experience planting willow, but I know something about
      system health. I think in your situation, if you look at the whole
      property and see it as one design, then planting small acrerages of
      willow would not violate the diversity of the whole. System health
      increases directly with biodiversity, and so concentrating on
      maintaining a diverse polyculture overall would allow you to plant
      small willow fields throughout.

      Another idea would be to create a "willow guild" and grow several
      other species in association with your willow crop. Depending on your
      choices, you could continue harvesting willow and be producing a yield
      from other species as well. A tree legume for mulch might work well
      here.

      Peace,

      Steve.

      --
      "In the face of all-annihilating weapons, the natural next step may be
      the use of no weapons. It may be that the only possibly effective

      ~ Wendell Berry, in '84 (from the essay "Property, Patriotism and
      National Defense" as included in the book "Home Economics")