Re: [pfaf] soil amendments

  • Smittyctz6
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2010
      thanks Sean,
      Yeah I stopped using the rock powders awhile ago. I went more natural and less harmful to the environment. I figure anything that is mined has to be destroying some habitat.
      I'm trying to get by using weeds as dynamic accumulators. I grow Comfrey now and I'm looking into Nettles, tansy, and other herbs for their known ability to mine certain nutrients and hold them in there tissues. Also I have stepped up my composting operations and began building a bigger leaf mold pile..

      Like I said:  "I have used Rock Phosphate, Green sand, and Dolomite."

      No longer..

      Bruce
      On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Sean Maley <semaley@...> wrote:

      Be aware of Ca/Mg, P/K, NH4/NO3, etc balances.  A good book on the concept is "Science in Agriculture" by Arden Andersen.  Dolomite is heavy on the Mg, so make sure that is what you need.  The same problem is often found with Greensand, but for Potassium (K).  However, it helps to know what is in the soil before hand and, hence, know what you need; Dolomite or Greensand could be the answer in a given case, but could also feed the weeds/insects in most other cases.

      Most likely, the rock phosphates will help, but not all rock phosphates are created equally either.  You will need to research this for yourself as to what is appropriate on your soil and with what is available; not to mention introducing toxins/imbalances to your soil.  I just read books, so don't take my word for it.

      -Sean.