School gardens idea: Top 10 reasons to vote!

  • School Gardens for Change
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11 8:00 AM
      Dear everyone,

      Exciting news!!!

      The idea "Good Food For All Kids: A Garden at Every School" has a great
      chance to actually win the 2010 "Ideas for Change in America" contest!

      If you still have not voted, please cast your vote before it's too late at:
      http://www.change.org/ideas/view/good_food_for_all_kids_a_garden_at_every_school_2

      With just 2 days left to vote in the contest, this idea currently holds a winning position in the top 10, with over THREE THOUSAND votes!

      But it's still a very close race, and we need every single vote we can get before the contest ends Friday, March 12th at 5 pm!!!

      VOTE NOW - http://www.change.org/ideas/view/good_food_for_all_kids_a_garden_at_every_school_2

      PLEASE ALSO VOTE FOR A WONDERFUL IDEA FOR SUSTAINABLE FOOD INVESTING WITH "SLOW MONEY":

      Why is this so important?

      Learn more about Slow Money's terrific work here: http://www.slowmoneyalliance.org/

      And here's 10 excellent reasons for school gardens, courtesy of Better School Food:

      Top Ten Reasons Why School Gardens are an Excellent Idea
      ( http://www.betterschoolfood.org/ )

      1. Magic happens when a child harvests a vegetable he or she has planted and nurtured. The child will want to eat it! It will increase interest and improve attitudes towards eating fruits and vegetables.

      2. Students will learn where food really comes from - a carrot grows in the ground, a green bean on a vine and Brussels sprouts on a stalk!

      3. School gardens foster an increased awareness of environmental issues. They will learn to respect and care for the soil, where our food comes from.

      4. They will get to share their bounty with their classmates. Eating with their peers is one of the most important motivators for children to try new foods.

      5. It gives children an opportunity to be outside and away from computer screens and, at the same time, significantly increase science achievement scores.

      6. They improve self esteem, behavior, social skills and interpersonal relationships as well as help develop life skills including working with groups.

      7. Research by Columbia Teachers College shows that hands-on gardening and cooking programs are the two things that are actually effective in behavior change; they get kids to eat more vegetables.

      8. The gardens are beautiful spaces that connect students to their school and help them develop a sense of pride and ownership, which in turn improves attitudes towards school and discourages vandalism.

      9. They provide opportunities for community involvement including neighbors, volunteers, parents, and local businesses.

      10. School gardens promote good nutrition and exercise. The health of our kids and the health of our planet are fundamentally connected.

      Thanks so much for your vote and your enthusiasm for this cause!

      Congratulations for participating in food democracy!

      Sincerely,
      Ethan Genauer