Re: [pfaf] Re:Eating Sustainably

  • Michael Kenna
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2010
      Your comments contain great insite. Do you recommend any reading resources, so I might follow your knowledge path?
      Thanks in advance.

      Michael Kenna
      michaelkenna@...

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
        What milkweed-species do you use for tubers? greetings from KLaus

        Artilleriestr. 6
        D-27283 Verden
        Tel (+49) 4231- 90 30 470
        Mobil (+49) 176- 23172036
        http://www.allmende.de.vu
      • Gail Lloyd
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
          i get mine at Sprouts farmers market and I think I got it once at Trader Joe's.  Any health food store should have it.
          Gail

          Sustainable gardening has been one of my lifelong passions. I also forage. My yard contains, naturally, everything from Asparagus to Barley Grass, rose, currants and wild plums. I collect Rumex, Chenopodium and Plantain (Plantago) seeds. My freezer is full of not only vegetables from my garden but Goosefoot pesto. My larder and dried stashes include herbs, seeds and roots/tubers from Lovage, Milk Weed, Cat tail...What I can't gather/grow here I can collect in the mountains or buy locally. Pinon, great Chiles (we have a short season).
          I 'inherited' two acres of lush field that is sub-watered. In the canal is Reed Grass, Smartweed, Brook Mint (and Mallards right now). My predecessors, Spanish with their keen sense of remedios and drawing on Native knowledge, grew a garden of herbs including Native Silverweed and Osha (Lovage), they imported wonderful Dandelions and Purslane. It has been a pleasure to 're-instate' the weeds and add other important plants because of their medicinal/edible uses, as well as beauty to deter the Quack Grass--the only thing I have found in my yard that has no use, per se.
          My goat straw is recycled-after a year of fermenting-into my garden and my neighbor brings me Elk now and again....
          On a fixed income, I feel pretty darn sustained... .

          --- In pfaf@yahoogroups. com, Peter Ellis <peter.ellis@ ...> wrote:

          > The message <790645.35961. qm@...>
          > from Gail Lloyd <gardenchick1949@ ...> contains these words:
          >
          > > only cook w/ coconut oil, ghee, or avocado oil (high smoke points).
          >

          > Hi
          >
          > Where do you find avocado oil ? I cannot recollect ever seeing it before.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > --
          > Peter Ellis
          >
          > Porec Sales Office
          > Croatia Property Services
          > A trading name of Peter Ellis Grupa d.o.o.
          > Selling in the new Tuscany!
          >
          > Tel +385 (0) 92 247 5879 Personal
          > +385 (0) 98 1 826240
          >
          > peter.ellis@ ...
          > info@...
          >
          > http://www.croatiap ropertyservices. com
          > http://croatiaprope rty.proboards16. com

        • Steve
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2010
            Hi Michael,

            How much land are you growing on, if you don't mind me asking?

            Also, what are some examples of your carbon imports? Do you use
            things like cane or pampas grass?

            Peace.

            Steve

            (Michael wrote)
            I grow all my own food, I raise Taro, Malanga, Tropical Yams, and lots
            of "normal" vegetables and fruit trees, I have free range Chickens,
            and hatch some of the eggs, to raise for meat Chickens. I do import as
            much organic material as I can get for free, I use Daikon most of the
            year as a lettuce substitute, as some varieties have lettuce like
            leaves,etc, etc,
            Michael Porter
            Orange Springs FL

            --
            "In the face of all-annihilating weapons, the natural next step may be
            the use of no weapons. It may be that the only possibly effective

            ~ Wendell Berry, in '84 (from the essay "Property, Patriotism and
            National Defense" as included in the book "Home Economics")