Re: [pfaf] Re: temperate agroforestry practices

  • Matteo Mazzola
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 20 3:19 PM
      Here where I live (north of italy) until 30 years ago it was possible to see paddy fields surrounded by Mulberry (for silk production, alder trees (probably for N fixing), willows (for basketry, etc..) and other fruit bearing wild shrubs and small trees that eventually would feed fish living in the paddy. The trees were pollarded every 1 or 2 years depending the species. Closer to the farms, oaks were planted between the road and the paddy fields, and from those oaks the best Boletus Edulis (mushrooms) where thriving.
      Willows were grown every sometimes in between rows of vineyards to obtain branches to use as ropes to tie grape plants.

      bye!

      matteo