Jatropha plantation for biofuel production

  • Matteo Mazzola
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 8, 2010
      Could anybody share all the bad things about the cultivation of Jatropha Curcas?

      I heard many bad things about it but I didn't find any reliable sources on this issue.

      Thanks

      Matteo

    • matthew@b-and-t-world-seeds.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2010
        Hi Matteo

        The only bad thing seems to be that Jatropha needs to be grown on good quality land to be productive enough to be worth growing - there are more valuable (useful) plants that could be grown more productively on the same land.

        Jatropha was first suggested as a cash/fuel crop for marginal land, where it turns out it is not cost effective for biofuel production.

        If you have a large unemployed workforce and a lot of marginal land, Jatropha for biofuel could be worth trying. But so could loads of other crops.

        Matt

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2010
          Thanks matt,

          because we could have quite a lot of land, the idea is to set up a system where not just jatropha would be grown; but food crops, Nitrogen Fixing trees, animal fodder crops, erosion control and biomass production (for soil fertility enrichment).

          The land is nearly the double of what we need for the amount of oil we want to produce, so jatropha lines could be wider and more diversification of the land will occur.

          I don't like the idea of growing plants for biofuel production, but the need of the people of the place, where we would set up the system, is to have a cheaper source of fuel then they get now (burkina faso).

          And, whether possible growing soil fertility, growing food and useful plants I think could be a good solution for many problems.

          When you wrote other crops, you meant other oil crops? if yes what kind of oil crops?

          Thank you very much!